What if Dara Shikoh became the Mughal emperor instead of Aurangzeb

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
what muslim kings were not bad? and what hindu kings were not divine, the indian history needs to be revised and a revision needs to be made, aurangzeb would not be having hindu mistress before his death if he was such a bigot, i think the colonial history needs to be challenged and there might a several flaws in colonial narrative.

regards
This is just history revisionism with lots of whitewashing. Dara Shikoh was killed for being a anti-Islam. Numerous major Hindu temples of North India were destroyed during Aurangzeb time like Kashi Vishwanath and last time destruction of Somnath. I never understood what kind of tolerance he displayed by forced conversion reimposing Jizaya and Pilgrimage tax on Hindus.

Reactions: prashanth and ksk
Apr 2018
Ayodhya
Mughal Empire would have survived a longer and maybe British couldn't have annexed Bengal along with entire Indo-Gangetic plains. Aurangzeb's mad Deccan campaign against Marathas bankrupted the Mughals and he never groomed his children to be the Emperor. Dara Shikoh would have been able to keep the calmness among his Hindu subjects as Aurangzeb reimposed all discriminatory taxes against Hindus that were discarded during the time of Akbar.
I don't think there is any evidence that Aurangzeb's treasury was depleted by the Maratha wars. Manucci, who lived through Aurangzeb's reign, gives figures for the revenue and they are too huge to be depleted in a mere campaign in the Deccan. As far as Dara Shikoh is concerned, he was quite abusive to the nobles, and very unpopular among the nobles and army. He considered it below his dignity to listen to advice from anybody, as he thought always that he knew best. He was also not a great military leader. Although he was highly popular among the commoners, it is the army and nobility that wins wars, not the commoners. Heck, when Dara Shikoh was being paraded across Delhi (after his capture), the commoners were weeping their hearts out and even threw stones at Jiwan Khan, but none dared to raise a stick or sword to save Dara Shikoh. It just shows the helplessness of the commoners. Aurangzeb was successful as he was popular among the nobles and army.

So, even if Dara became king, I highly doubt that he (with his lack of popularity among the army and poor military skills) would be able to curb any revolt that may arise by the orthodox Muslims. His reign would have lasted for a very short period, as he would have been killed in a civil war...

Reactions: Juggernaut
Apr 2018
Ayodhya
This is just history revisionism with lots of whitewashing. Dara Shikoh was killed for being a anti-Islam. Numerous major Hindu temples of North India were destroyed during Aurangzeb time like Kashi Vishwanath and last time destruction of Somnath. I never understood what kind of tolerance he displayed by forced conversion reimposing Jizaya and Pilgrimage tax on Hindus.
When Dara was paraded in Delhi, the people were very angry and Aurangzeb feared an insurrection in Dara's support. That was the prime reason for killing Dara. His being an infidel was only eyewash meant to fool the orthodoxy. Actually, Aurangzeb asked Dara what he would have done if he was in his place, and Dara said that he would cut Aurangzeb's body in four parts and display it on the four gates of the palace. That angered Aurangzeb, who finally decided to put him to death.

I think some researchers have shown that Jizya was not implemented. Its imposition was more symbolic in nature, to appease the orthodoxy.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I don't think there is any evidence that Aurangzeb's treasury was depleted by the Maratha wars. Manucci, who lived through Aurangzeb's reign, gives figures for the revenue and they are too huge to be depleted in a mere campaign in the Deccan. As far as Dara Shikoh is concerned, he was quite abusive to the nobles, and very unpopular among the nobles and army. He considered it below his dignity to listen to advice from anybody, as he thought always that he knew best. He was also not a great military leader. Although he was highly popular among the commoners, it is the army and nobility that wins wars, not the commoners. Heck, when Dara Shikoh was being paraded across Delhi (after his capture), the commoners were weeping their hearts out and even threw stones at Jiwan Khan, but none dared to raise a stick or sword to save Dara Shikoh. It just shows the helplessness of the commoners. Aurangzeb was successful as he was popular among the nobles and army.

So, even if Dara became king, I highly doubt that he (with his lack of popularity among the army and poor military skills) would be able to curb any revolt that may arise by the orthodox Muslims. His reign would have lasted for a very short period, as he would have been killed in a civil war...
When Dara was paraded in Delhi, the people were very angry and Aurangzeb feared an insurrection in Dara's support. That was the prime reason for killing Dara. His being an infidel was only eyewash meant to fool the orthodoxy. Actually, Aurangzeb asked Dara what he would have done if he was in his place, and Dara said that he would cut Aurangzeb's body in four parts and display it on the four gates of the palace. That angered Aurangzeb, who finally decided to put him to death.

I think some researchers have shown that Jizya was not implemented. Its imposition was more symbolic in nature, to appease the orthodoxy.
Dara Shikoh had interest towards Hindu books, that was the reason he was executed for being anti-Islam. The war of succession among Mughals was always bloody so no surprise Aurangzeb wanted to kill him. He changed the empire tradition towards majority Hindus of the empire, appeasing the clergy don't seems the a good logic.

Beside this Mughal empire started to disintegrate in the lifetime of Aurangzeb himself.

There is a section of historian who try to secularize Indian historians trying to whitewash the fact the Aurangzeb was involved in widespread persecution of Hindus and Sikhs and Tipu Sultan committed widespread persecution of Hindus and Christians.

Apr 2018
Ayodhya
Dara Shikoh had interest towards Hindu books, that was the reason he was executed for being anti-Islam. The war of succession among Mughals was always bloody so no surprise Aurangzeb wanted to kill him. He changed the empire tradition towards majority Hindus of the empire, appeasing the clergy don't seems the a good logic.

Beside this Mughal empire started to disintegrate in the lifetime of Aurangzeb himself.

There is a section of historian who try to secularize Indian historians trying to whitewash the fact the Aurangzeb was involved in widespread persecution of Hindus and Sikhs and Tipu Sultan committed widespread persecution of Hindus and Christians.
Dara Shikoh was more inclined to Christianity, tbh. He said in his last moment "Muhammad gives me death, but the son of Mary will save me". He was quite close to the Flemish priest Father Bussee, and if he became king he would have made Christianity the state religion. The primary reason for his execution was because he was popular and an insurrection could have been brought about by his partisans if he was still alive. The "death for infidelity" was just an eyewash...