What if Dragons existed?

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
An old history book speculated that surviving dinosaurs could have been the cause of Scandinavian dragon stories. I remember thinking how goofy that theory was when I was a child. It had a reproduction of a painting called something like "Olden Days in Scandinavia" depicting cave people hiding from a giant lizard like creature.

I would like to see a reproduction of that painting.

The Book was Edward S. Ellis Stories of the Greatest Nations in the Volume on Scandinavia.

Last edited:
Aug 2011
Sweden
What if Dragons weren't merely folklore: all the dragons in every culture's mythology were based on actual living breathing animals. This means from Chinese serpentine-dragons to the classical European variant, they exist. All dragons that are said to be able to fly could fly in this scenario, including Chinese dragons, and they are also as sentient as humans. They don't have magical powers such as godhood, wish-granting, or any other variants of magic.

How would human history have gone differently with gigantic sentient fire-breathing beasts? Even ignoring the obvious abilities of dragons, how would humanity existing alongside a beast just as intelligent as they are go?
They probably did exist. But not as the type you describe.

Aug 2011
Sweden
An old history book speculated that surviving dinosaurs could have been the cause of Scandinavian dragon stories. I remember thinking how goofy that theory was when I was a child. It had a reproduction of a painting called something like "Olden Days in Scandinavia" depicting cave people hiding from a giant lizard like creature.

I would like to see a reproduction of that painting.

The Book was Edward S. Ellis Stories of the Greatest Nations in the Volume on Scandinavia.
"Dragons" were reported well into the 19th C in Sweden. Not lizards of course. Serpentlike with a mane on its back.

Similar History Discussions