what if germany joined the war in 1943 ?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Since the Poles were very friendly to Germany until the Danzig demands and hostile to the Soviets
they could have been induced to cooperate or even join an invasion

Jun 2018
Philadelphia, PA
From the perspective of readiness, Hitler was right to attack when he did in 1939.
I am inclined to agree. It was an intelligent strategic move to forward his agenda. I am unsure of if there were any warning signs, or if Hitler knew his health was fading, and perhaps that hastened his decision, but, either way, I believe nothing short of serious convincing from then-ally Italy would have put Hitler's invasion on hold by 4 years.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Since the Poles were very friendly to Germany until the Danzig demands and hostile to the Soviets
they could have been induced to cooperate or even join an invasion
The Poles were never friendly to Germany. Both Germany and Russia were viewed as existential threats to the existence of Poland. The German prevention of arms shipments during the Soviet-Polish war was not going to go away in a hurry. It was viewed that German or Russian troops that entered Poland for whatever reason would never leave.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The Polish government cooperated with Nazi Germany to rip pieces of Czechoslovakia
For Poland the enemy always was the Russian /Soviets
until the early spring of 1939 , any friction with Nazi Germany was regarded as mere misunderstanding
their foreign minister was more hostile to the allied than to Hitler
chamberlain unilateral guaranty to Poland came out of the blue , even their main ally the French were surprised at such diplomatic flying trapeze diplomacy

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
The Polish government cooperated with Nazi Germany to rip pieces of Czechoslovakia
For Poland the enemy always was the Russian /Soviets
until the early spring of 1939 , any friction with Nazi Germany was regarded as mere misunderstanding
their foreign minister was more hostile to the allied than to Hitler
chamberlain unilateral guaranty to Poland came out of the blue , even their main ally the French were surprised at such diplomatic flying trapeze diplomacy
Poland sought good relations with both the Soviets and Germany, the Poles thought war between Germany and Russia would be the partition of Poland again.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I'm not aware of any attempt from Poland to have good relations with the Soviets
but then again I might be wrong
I know of Stalin attempt to improve relations
he had Polish communists from the KPP , a Comintern branch , shot as a sign of good faith ?!?!

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
I'm not aware of any attempt from Poland to have good relations with the Soviets
but then again I might be wrong
I know of Stalin attempt to improve relations
he had Polish communists from the KPP , a Comintern branch , shot as a sign of good faith ?!?!
They tried to balance Soviets and Germany.

"After the Polish–Soviet War, the Polish authorities pursued a policy of "equal distance" between Germany and the Soviet Union. Most Polish politicians, both on the left and the right, believed that Poland should rely mostly on the crucial alliance with France, dating back to World War I, and should not support either Germany or the Soviet Union.

To normalize the bilateral contacts with the Soviet Union, talks were started in January 1926 to prepare a non-aggression treaty.to fortify the Polish gains of the Peace of Riga. It was to be balanced by a similar pact signed with Germany"