What if Germany Won the Battle of Britain?

Apr 2018
India
Convoys originating from Trondheim, Norway, taking a detour towards Jan Mayen and then approaching Iceland from north would keep them out of range of RAF.

Why couldn't it be done, when much larger and much dangerous Arctic convoys were possible later on?
Since you mentioned the convoys it wouldn't be wrong to point out a few things -

1) First of all, the Convoys, although contributed a great deal in absolute terms towards the Russian war effort, in comparative terms had very little contribution to the same. It's fundamental importance was in maintaining a very good relation between Churchill and Stalin. That was why RN kept on running this service in spite of such peril. For Germany, the occupation of Iceland would never have been of such importance to risk its far fewer naval assets and perishable resources in running convoys like that. Remember that occupation/subjugation of Britain was never the primary agenda of Hitler. Everything he wanted was in the east. That's why even after the failure of the Battle of Britain, Barbarossa began without fail.

2) After Norway, you couldn't even ask Kriegsmarine to take up such an operation. It's simply unthinkable. The RN was the biggest Navy in the world. They could run the convoys even after sustaining regular losses both with the convoys and elsewhere. Let alone warships, the German merchant navy couldn't afford to risk that many transports as would have required to keep even a token occupation force well supplied in Iceland. Resources were scarce for everyone in the early days of the war and Germany still had the east to conquer.

I'll suggest you a book. 'Target Tirpitz' by Patrick Bishop. You'll get a good idea about the overall condition of the Kriegsmarine as background information.

Apr 2018
India
The supply needs of U-boats are food, fuel and torpedoes; all of which are commodities that are in short supply on Iceland.

Your concepts appear to be deficient in practicality.
And Pens if they were to operate out of Iceland. Incredibly complex construction projects. The U boat pens of Trondheim, Laurent or St Nazaire came up after Norway and France fell as both these countries had good infrastructure and was in close proximity. It would have been incredibly difficult replicate the same success in Iceland.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
And Pens if they were to operate out of Iceland. Incredibly complex construction projects. The U boat pens of Trondheim, Laurent or St Nazaire came up after Norway and France fell as both these countries had good infrastructure and was in close proximity. It would have been incredibly difficult replicate the same success in Iceland.
I was listing the absolute minimum supply requirements. In the film "Das Boot", the U-boat met a merchant vessel in mid-ocean and resupplied with those commodities. That is all I was going for.

The whole "Iceland conquered by the Germans" is a baseless, if not absurd, concept and expanding the nonsensical notion to a complete sub base would validate it more than I wish. Way more...............

Apr 2018
India
I was listing the absolute minimum supply requirements. In the film "Das Boot", the U-boat met a merchant vessel in mid-ocean and resupplied with those commodities. That is all I was going for.

The whole "Iceland conquered by the Germans" is a baseless, if not absurd, concept and expanding the nonsensical notion to a complete sub base would validate it more than I wish. Way more...............
Haha. Spain, not mid ocean. Herr Kapitain eats fresh figs for the first time.

Reactions: Edratman

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
Pens were not needed for resupplying a sub if it was done at night, back then. They don't need bomb shelters when there's no one around (at night time) to bomb.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Condors had the range (~3.5K Km), but they couldn't operate there because of RAF.
Condors: nice aircraft, and the only 4-engined aircraft the Germans had, but these planes were intended to be pre-war passenger planes and not bombers. And, how many condors did the Germans have? Not many, I suspect.