What if Germany Won the Battle of Britain?

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
So the Kreigsmarine don't have the resources to cross 30 miles of sea but is going to sail hundreds past Britain deep into the Atlantic invade an island, defend it and also supply a major air force base?
German air superiority is presupposed.

Reactions: Futurist

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Edit: The invasion would originate from Norway.
No it wouldn't have, Norway is much further away from the UK than Calais is, which is where German Heer planners were talking about attacking from. The Germans didn't have a choice, they had to pick the shortest distance, they could support nothing else. The Kriegsmarine were flat out saying that they could support no more than a single landing beach, while the Heer wanted a minimum of two. There was no way the Kriegsmarine could keep the Channel open, they'd maybe initially be able to get troop transports across but they'd lose air superiority and naval support shortly thereafter and then their land forces in Britain would be forced to Dunkirk or surrender.

Reactions: Edratman

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Its a completely separate operation. Let's say the British lose the Battle of Britain air campaign. The Germans have to keep air superiority for the duration of however Sea Lion and further operations take. In order to defeat the UK, they are going to need to transport a minimum of an army group across the Channel. The Luftwaffe is looking at spending at least a year providing total air support over land and sea.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
And thus coming within range of Focke-Wulf Condors operating out of France?
No. As has already been pointed out by several people, the Luftwaffe operating out of French couldn't effectively reach the west coast of Britain.

Reactions: Futurist

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
No, it isn't.
There seems to be some misunderstanding as to what "Winning the BoB" means.
Presumably, had the Germans been more successful, the Me109s would have driven the RAF out of SE England, and have air superiority over Kent, Essex, Sussex, Surrey and London ONLY. The. Germans fighters would have no ability to contest the skies anywhere else in Britain, and the RAF would have superiority everywhere.

Wasn't the case in the Atlantic. Fliegerführer Atlantik - Wikipedia

With air superiority, U boats would have cut off shipping to Britain. Merchant Navy would have been the first to go down.
A rather preposterous statement.
Britain has a decent supply of twin engine fighters (Blenheim 1F, Beaufighter,) as well as FAA Skuas that can't stand up to an Me109, but are more than capable of shooting down a Condor.

Reactions: benzev and Edratman

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
No, it isn't.
There seems to be some misunderstanding as to what "Winning the BoB" means.
Presumably, had the Germans been more successful, the Me109s would have driven the RAF out of SE England, and have air superiority over Kent, Essex, Sussex, Surrey and London ONLY. The. Germans fighters would have no ability to contest the skies anywhere else in Britain, and the RAF would have superiority everywhere.
That is exactly what I considered a German victory in the Battle of Britain when I started the thread. The RAF would be forced to retreat from their bases closest to France. A significant setback, an undeniable loss, but far from the utter destruction of the RAF. In other words, just one more defeat on the battlefield in a renowned and legendary conflict.

Reactions: benzev

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
No it wouldn't have, Norway is much further away from the UK than Calais is, which is where German Heer planners were talking about attacking from. The Germans didn't have a choice, they had to pick the shortest distance, they could support nothing else. The Kriegsmarine were flat out saying that they could support no more than a single landing beach, while the Heer wanted a minimum of two. There was no way the Kriegsmarine could keep the Channel open, they'd maybe initially be able to get troop transports across but they'd lose air superiority and naval support shortly thereafter and then their land forces in Britain would be forced to Dunkirk or surrender.
Invasion of Iceland was what I meant. My argument is that cutting off supplies to Britain would have sufficed, no invasion was required.