What if Greeks captured Constantinople from the Turks in the 20th Century

Status
Closed
Aug 2015
wish it was Constantinople
Iran is not a vassal state.
It can stand proudly against not only Israel but the USA as well.

Greek geography and manpower do not allow such outcomes.
And like I told you earlier,Greece is a vassal state.
Iran is a great power.
You're comparing completely different things.
how is Iran a great power?? sure they have nukes, but lets face it,Iran is a joke.

Now it does make sense saying greece is a vassal. but a vassal to who? the EU? US? NATO? out of the EU, i would say greece is actually one of the more independents one of the EU. however, nowadays its not that in good condition.

Feb 2016
Athens,Greece
how is Iran a great power?? sure they have nukes, but lets face it,Iran is a joke.

Now it does make sense saying greece is a vassal. but a vassal to who? the EU? US? NATO? out of the EU, i would say greece is actually one of the more independents one of the EU. however, nowadays its not that in good condition.
If you consider Iran a joke then you can freely laugh at it.
I'll keep respecting them though.

When it comes to Greece,since we revolted against the Ottomans,unfortunately the county was enslaved to Western countries.
None particular,the West at large.

Dec 2010
Chicago
I too understand and in general I refer to civilizational greatness itself not just militaristic one. After all Constantinople is not conquest of foreign land it was still very much part of Greek cultural sphere until fall of Ottomans. I am talking with or without it Greeks old civilizational greatness is still not there as before. Even Iran despite its global isolation has managed to launch a satellite to the moon. What has Greece done since the conquest by Ottomans to now of any global civilizational significance????

Has it produced one man like Sophocles, Aristophanes, Plato, Socrates,Euclid,Pythagoras?????None.
Greeks were prominent players within the historical landscape of Europe (specifically the Balkans and the Southern portion of the Italian peninsula), Asia Minor, and to a lesser extent the Levant and Egypt, consistently for approximately two millennia. The Greek speaking communities of Southern Italy and Sicily were gradually assimilated linguistically, religiously, and culturally. The Greek speaking communities of the Northern Balkans were gradually assimilated linguistically, on occasion religiously, and culturally. The Greek speaking communities of Asia Minor were gradually assimilated linguistically, religiously, and culturally. As were the Greek speaking communities of the Levant. The end result being that large swathes of Greek speaking communities that remained scattered throughout Southeastern Europe and Asia Minor adopted a specific "identity" more in tune with whatever group happened to dominate the region that they inhabited. That being said, even with large numbers of Greek speaking peoples adopting new identities, a stubborn and resilient Greek population continued to exist throughout the Balkans, the coasts of the Black Sea, and Asia Minor throughout four centuries of Ottoman occupation and rule. Orthodox Christianity proved to be a major factor that greatly contributed to this existential survival of the Greek community during this period. From the era of massive Greek colonization during antiquity, that transitioned into the Medieval Era where Greek speaking communities continued to settle all throughout Europe, the large migrations of Greeks fleeing Ottoman occupation that followed, culminating in mass migrations of Greeks in the aftermath of WWII and the brutal civil war that raged on for several more years, a dictatorship, as well as a complete economic breakdown where the majority of it's educated youth are leaving en masse. The point that I'm trying to make is that Greek society experiences an enormous brain drain every 2 - 3 decades. Modern Greece exports it's best and brightest outside of Greece proper that end up joining a Greek diaspora anywhere outside of Greece. Greeks have certainly contributed in the modern era, but they tend to make their contributions anywhere but Greece.

Aug 2015
wish it was Constantinople
Yes and also if that would change the greater fortune of Greece where it can rebrand the city to its historic past and make it a modern seat of civilization. Would the nation's fortunes improve under this case
1. probably not. they may make it their second capital.

2. greece would have more influence, but nowhere near USA, UK or other large nations

3. depedns on how greece will handle their money. probably much better than their current situation.

Nov 2012
1. probably not. they may make it their second capital.

2. greece would have more influence, but nowhere near USA, UK or other large nations

3. depedns on how greece will handle their money. probably much better than their current situation.
why could Greece not reach the same zenith. The people were extremely educated at a time when many other places were not at the same level. One would expect things to have changed. What has made the Greeks a more developing country bracket place and not its past zenith. What has changed??????

Would Greeks prefer Athens over it as their capital? why do u say so?

why do you think the money situation would be better? plz tell me the reasons as I am curious to know.

Feb 2016
Asheville, North Carolina
why could Greece not reach the same zenith. The people were extremely educated at a time when many other places were not at the same level. One would expect things to have changed. What has made the Greeks a more developing country bracket place and not its past zenith. What has changed??????

Would Greeks prefer Athens over it as their capital? why do u say so?

why do you think the money situation would be better? plz tell me the reasons as I am curious to know.[/QUOTE If greece had taken Constantinople it's money situation would be better. But I don't think that taking one city even one as great as Constantinople could completely fix their money situation. The greeks were powerful in the ancient world but I think that is mostly due to the fact that they were able to secure trade routes and colonies throughout the Mediterranean before many other civilizations could do. If you look around at countries who had previously relied on Mediterranean trade like the peoples of Italy, Spain, Tunisia, Egypt, ect... You will find they are not doing as well as they used to and falling behind western European superpowers like Germany, France and Britan.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions