What If Henry 8 fell in love with Mary Boleyn instead of Anne?

Oct 2016
Ashland
You might like The Other Boylen Girl.
I think that a likely answer to your question is,' pretty much the same as happened in History.'
England's problems with Succession are truly funny in retrospect.

May 2017
Syria
Would much have changed? I doubt that. That is unless, off the top of my head, Mary gave him a son, or acted more to Henry's liking in both public and private matters.

Aug 2015
uk
He DID fall in love with her (or at least in lust). It's interesting to speculate exactly whose plan it was for Anne to want marriage rather than be a mistress; certainly her father would have to have complied. Perhaps he was fed up of his daughters being used in this way (one maybe, but not BOTH) or maybe he saw a path to more wealth and power.

If somehow Mary did become his wife, then it would depend on two things: if she gave him a son and if she didn't act how Henry would expect a wife of his to. Anne lost her head more for her challenging and outspokeness than she did for her flirtations; likely Mary would not have made a similar error.

But it's entirely possible that it was a combination of Anne and Crom that turned Henry to the idea of divorcing Catherine and setting up himself as head of the Church. It's arguable that without Anne , Henry would have stayed happily (albeit son-less) married to his first wife.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
He DID fall in love with her (or at least in lust). It's interesting to speculate exactly whose plan it was for Anne to want marriage rather than be a mistress; certainly her father would have to have complied. Perhaps he was fed up of his daughters being used in this way (one maybe, but not BOTH) or maybe he saw a path to more wealth and power.

If somehow Mary did become his wife, then it would depend on two things: if she gave him a son and if she didn't act how Henry would expect a wife of his to. Anne lost her head more for her challenging and outspokeness than she did for her flirtations; likely Mary would not have made a similar error.

But it's entirely possible that it was a combination of Anne and Crom that turned Henry to the idea of divorcing Catherine and setting up himself as head of the Church. It's arguable that without Anne , Henry would have stayed happily (albeit son-less) married to his first wife.
Wasn't the whole point of all those wives about Henry's obsession with having a son? Do you really think he would have given up had he not become infatuated with Anne Boleyn?

I guess it could be argued that the whole thing got out of hand once Henry had divorced Catherine and married Anne, who then failed to produce an heir?

Then there was Henry's creation of The Church of England and the dissolution of the monasteries and the vast wealth which came to the crown.,IE to Henry.

Similar History Discussions