What if Hitler had invaded Switzerland?

Aug 2016
USA
I've been reading a little bit about Switzerland in WW2. One claim I've heard a couple times, is that the K31 rifle is very accurate, and it's ammunition had ballistic qualities similar to the .308. Which is a round known for it's accuracy. I imagine high accuracy is probably very useful in the mountains.

Of course, the Swiss couldn't mobilize anywhere near the amount of men. Historically their air force was primarily made up of German aircraft (with which they would either force-down or shoot-down planes from both sides of the conflict that entered their airspace). I am not sure if the Swiss had any significant antitank capabilities other than the Alps themselves.

I don't think this would've been a good choice for the Nazis, but I suspect they would've eventually won. I am still curious exactly how difficult it would've made things for them. Passing through Switzerland was considered as an alternative to the Schlieffen plan. Judging by this map, they may not have needed to go that far into the Alps.

1024px-switzerland_relief_location_map.jpg

May 2019
Afrique
I've been reading a little bit about Switzerland in WW2. One claim I've heard a couple times, is that the K31 rifle is very accurate, and it's ammunition had ballistic qualities similar to the .308. Which is a round known for it's accuracy. I imagine high accuracy is probably very useful in the mountains.

Of course, the Swiss couldn't mobilize anywhere near the amount of men. Historically their air force was primarily made up of German aircraft (with which they would either force-down or shoot-down planes from both sides of the conflict that entered their airspace). I am not sure if the Swiss had any significant antitank capabilities other than the Alps themselves.

I don't think this would've been a good choice for the Nazis, but I suspect they would've eventually won. I am still curious exactly how difficult it would've made things for them. Passing through Switzerland was considered as an alternative to the Schlieffen plan. Judging by this map, they may not have needed to go that far into the Alps.

View attachment 18862
I am not an expert on the subject, but Switzerland don't seems to have a great power at that time in a way to change what happened. Maybe they could have a financial impact on the war, but for the military I don't think so. Some accuse them to have financed the Nazi so. And for the neutrality of Switzerland is really an evil neutrality, having a power like Nazi Germany invading all Europe and you still stay neutral!!!! REEEEEE
I don't want to use the dilemma fallacy but for neutrality is not sustainable in those time.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
It would have been a dumb move, but smarter than invading Russia.

I am sure Germany could have taken it, but they have mountains and they would blow up bridges and so on. the men all have military training and submachine guns.

Supposedly also, some of the Nazi leaders and money from graft and looting of occupied territories in Swiss bank accounts.

Similar History Discussions