What if India cotninued the war in western Pak after liberating bangladesh

greatstreetwarrior

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Also assume under this scenario india kept the captured POWs until after the war was over. In such a scenario I think india could have finished off the conflict quickly with a demoralized Pakistan. In my view the final objective being the breakup of Pakistan into constituent states
Balochistan
Pashtunistan
Sindhudesh
Western Punjab

Also to keep the US at bay indira could have promised them that this would only be a breakup and india would not annex any territories in the Pakistanis state including POK which could be joined to any of the neighbouring new nations preferably west Punjab. Do u see this as a realistic scenario and would india have defeated the west as well. Would the Soviets keep US and China at bay.

Also what if india cut a deal with iran to take over balochistan and afghans to take over NWFP bordering themselves with Punjab and sindh as buffer states?

What other possibilities. I am just brainstorming. I am hypothesising how a Pakistan breakup could be achieved by cutting a deal and giving up something on indias part.

(No offense intended here. This is just a hypothetical scenario. I want a genuine discussion)

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
You know, I really do wonder if Richard Nixon and his administration would have actually been willing to risk nuclear war with the Soviet Union in this scenario. My guess is No, but I'm honestly not completely sure.

Anyway, though, even if Pakistan does get totally destroyed and annihilated without any nuclear war, I do wonder if the US would have tried supporting some kind of insurgency among Pakistanis. However, that might be difficult to pull off if all of Pakistan's major ethnic groups will actually gain independence. After independence, would huge numbers of Punjabis, Sindhis, et cetera actually want to fight for Pakistan?

As for the Pakistani Pashtuns, I don't think that they would actually be very eager to join Afghanistan. Of course, they might not actually have any choice in this matter if Pakistan is completely and totally dismembered. Their only hope might be if India would have, for whatever reason, decided to stop Afghanistan from annexing the Pashtun-majority parts of Pakistan.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
As a side note, I wonder if Indian influence in Afghanistan and, starting from 1991, Central Asia would have been much heavier in this scenario than it was in real life. After all, in real life, Pakistan blocks India from Afghanistan and Central Asia and thus it's much harder for India to develop strong commercial, et cetera ties with these countries than it would have been in a scenario where Pakistan got completely dismembered and destroyed in 1971.

greatstreetwarrior

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
India has much better relations with the central asian states than does pakistan even today. These states usually see Pakistan's religion based idealogie more dangerously in unison with the fundamentalists in their own nations whom they usually crackdown on.

I agree with you the pashtuns in Afghanistan are more interested to get their compatriots on the other side. Also other non Pashtun groups would also feel in secure in this. But a broken up pakistan would make much more sense and also the individual states especially sindh and baloch who have a coastline wojld do rather well on their own than they do right now with Pakistan.

I think dismembered pakistan is better for other itself and the rest of the world. Also I think there could be a huge riot against the urdu speaking muhajirs whonwould probably find accommodation only in a muslim Punjab

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
India has much better relations with the central asian states than does pakistan even today. These states usually see Pakistan's religion based idealogie more dangerously in unison with the fundamentalists in their own nations whom they usually crackdown on.
Agreed. However, forging economic ties between India and Central Asia is a challenge due to Pakistan being in the way. This is also true for forging Indo-Afghan ties--in order to bypass Pakistan and reach Afghanistan, India needs to go through the Indian Ocean and then through Iran.

I agree with you the pashtuns in Afghanistan are more interested to get their compatriots on the other side.
Yeah, Afghan Pashtuns are much more enthusiastic about Pashtun reunification than Pakistani Pashtuns are.

Also other non Pashtun groups would also feel in secure in this.
In Pakistan? Possibly--other than the Punjabis, who are likely going to detest the loss of Greater Punjab (post-1971 Pakistan is essentially a Greater Punjab considering that Punjabis' share of the total population there is comparable to Russians' total population share in both the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union).

But a broken up pakistan would make much more sense and also the individual states especially sindh and baloch who have a coastline wojld do rather well on their own than they do right now with Pakistan.
Yes, the Sindhis and Balochs could certainly benefit from independence. The one issue with the Balochs that I could see is that Iranian Balochs and Afghan Balochs might want to join their brethren in an independent Baloch state.

I think dismembered pakistan is better for other itself and the rest of the world. Also I think there could be a huge riot against the urdu speaking muhajirs whonwould probably find accommodation only in a muslim Punjab
Would Punjab really want non-Punjabi Muhajirs, though?

Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
Also assume under this scenario india kept the captured POWs until after the war was over. In such a scenario I think india could have finished off the conflict quickly with a demoralized Pakistan. In my view the final objective being the breakup of Pakistan into constituent states
Balochistan
Pashtunistan
Sindhudesh
Western Punjab

Also to keep the US at bay indira could have promised them that this would only be a breakup and india would not annex any territories in the Pakistanis state including POK which could be joined to any of the neighbouring new nations preferably west Punjab. Do u see this as a realistic scenario and would india have defeated the west as well. Would the Soviets keep US and China at bay.
The US would never allow this outcome. They still saw Pakistan as a bulwark against communism and Chinese incursions into Kashmir would have been inevitable.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The US would never allow this outcome. They still saw Pakistan as a bulwark against communism and Chinese incursions into Kashmir would have been inevitable.
So, what would the US have done in response to this?

Also, what about a limited Indian Operation to only seize the Haji Pir Pass and that's it?

Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
So, what would the US have done in response to this?

Also, what about a limited Indian Operation to only seize the Haji Pir Pass and that's it?
The US would provide direct military aid to Pakistan if India tried to break up the country.

They wouldn't object to limited territorial losses in West Pakistan.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The US would provide direct military aid to Pakistan if India tried to break up the country.
Similar to what it did in Afghanistan after 1979?

They wouldn't object to limited territorial losses in West Pakistan.
Not even to the loss of East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) and limited territorial losses in West Pakistan?