What if India cotninued the war in western Pak after liberating bangladesh

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Makes sense; thank you! Anyway, just how deep do you think that India could actually push into Pakistan without triggering a massive US effort to help Pakistan?

greatstreetwarrior

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Agreed. However, forging economic ties between India and Central Asia is a challenge due to Pakistan being in the way. This is also true for forging Indo-Afghan ties--in order to bypass Pakistan and reach Afghanistan, India needs to go through the Indian Ocean and then through Iran.

Yeah, Afghan Pashtuns are much more enthusiastic about Pashtun reunification than Pakistani Pashtuns are.

In Pakistan? Possibly--other than the Punjabis, who are likely going to detest the loss of Greater Punjab (post-1971 Pakistan is essentially a Greater Punjab considering that Punjabis' share of the total population there is comparable to Russians' total population share in both the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union).

Yes, the Sindhis and Balochs could certainly benefit from independence. The one issue with the Balochs that I could see is that Iranian Balochs and Afghan Balochs might want to join their brethren in an independent Baloch state.

Would Punjab really want non-Punjabi Muhajirs, though?
No I meant non Pashtun afghans wont be ok with Pakistani pashtuns coming in and becoming a larger part of the country's demography. The possibility of baloch independence in other areas exist more so in iran than in afghanistan. A mere treaty with iran would help in this. Sindh would be the biggest gainer in this and both sindh an independent balochistan will most likely have a better relationship with india. Dealing with reduced Punjab will not be much of a problem for india either.

Punjabis wont have much issues with mohajirs because since independence the punjabis have been willing to give up their language and adopt the muhajir language of urdu more than any other linguistic groups in pakistan. The ruling class of Pakistanis the coalition of the muhajirs and punjabis whose interests are the same. All the proceedings of the punjab assembly in pakistan are done in Urdu.

greatstreetwarrior

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Makes sense; thank you! Anyway, just how deep do you think that India could actually push into Pakistan without triggering a massive US effort to help Pakistan?
Yeah I am keen to know this too. I cant see the US being completely silent but I wonder again that they didnt do much despite bangladesh going off despite that being a substantial territory. If china invades kashmir the Soviets invade china almost immediately. The Soviet was willing to send a nuclear submarine to the pacific as soon as they heard the US was sending a submarine there. Also what does iran do? A broken up Pakistan would be beneficial for it too.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
The US would never allow this outcome. They still saw Pakistan as a bulwark against communism and Chinese incursions into Kashmir would have been inevitable.
American could have mounted a pressure, but since the war was fought in December with all Himalayan passes closed, it was impossible for China to even help Pakistan even if the war was continued for another month.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
No I meant non Pashtun afghans wont be ok with Pakistani pashtuns coming in and becoming a larger part of the country's demography.
Agreed.

The possibility of baloch independence in other areas exist more so in iran than in afghanistan.
Agreed--though it's worth noting that the southernmost tip of Afghanistan is also Baloch:

A mere treaty with iran would help in this. Sindh would be the biggest gainer in this and both sindh an independent balochistan will most likely have a better relationship with india. Dealing with reduced Punjab will not be much of a problem for india either.
Agreed; in such a scenario, Pakistani Punjabis are going to be severely pissed off, but everyone else, possibly not so much.

Punjabis wont have much issues with mohajirs because since independence the punjabis have been willing to give up their language and adopt the muhajir language of urdu more than any other linguistic groups in pakistan. The ruling class of Pakistanis the coalition of the muhajirs and punjabis whose interests are the same. All the proceedings of the punjab assembly in pakistan are done in Urdu.
I'm actually amazed that the Punjabis don't even speak Punjabi in their own assembly!