What if No Pickett's charge during Gettysburg?

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Thank you! You are a great photographer! There were several from our town in the 16th: I shall download these photos for their files up at the historical society.
Honestly, it was all the weather's doing - the shots I took an hour earlier at the 20th Maine monument weren't so atmospheric.

Looking towards the Eternal Flame Peace Monument
PSX_20191207_140141.jpg

Rather somber with more of the copse of dark trees in the background.
PSX_20191207_140314.jpg

Jun 2017
maine
You are being modest: I have a collection of my photographs of the corners of buildings, people's elbows and passing clouds :). These new pictures a wonderful! I've never been to Gettysburg so must ask about the other monuments in the first picture: do you know what they represent?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Have you ever worked with google street view?

Rotate the image 90 degrees and click on the street. The camera will move there. You can drive all over the battlefield and see whatever can be seen from the road. In the upper left corner is a dark rectangle that says "Doubleday Avenue Gettysburg PA." To the left is a small white arrow. Click the arrow, and it will take you to satellite or map view. In the lower left corner you can switch back and forth between satellite and map view. In the lower right is a yellow symbol in the shape of a person. Click that symbol and the streets will turn blue indicating where street view is available. Click on a blue street and it takes you to street view. It works anywhere in the world that google has imaged with their street view vehicles. Who needs to travel anymore?

Jun 2017
maine
Have you ever worked with google street view?

Rotate the image 90 degrees and click on the street. The camera will move there. You can drive all over the battlefield and see whatever can be seen from the road. In the upper left corner is a dark rectangle that says "Doubleday Avenue Gettysburg PA." To the left is a small white arrow. Click the arrow, and it will take you to satellite or map view. In the lower left corner you can switch back and forth between satellite and map view. In the lower right is a yellow symbol in the shape of a person. Click that symbol and the streets will turn blue indicating where street view is available. Click on a blue street and it takes you to street view. It works anywhere in the world that google has imaged with their street view vehicles. Who needs to travel anymore?
I never thought to apply it here--but you're right! Thank you!

Dec 2013
Arkansas
I've read that Longstreet never forgave Robert E. Lee for the third day of Gettysburg. Reportedly, Longstreet was more interested in keeping the Army of Northern Virginia intact and combat capable as a "force in being" while Lee (correctly or not) decided that the Army had to have a decisive victory in northern territory in order to prove the Confederacy to be a viable going concern

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I've read that Longstreet never forgave Robert E. Lee for the third day of Gettysburg. Reportedly, Longstreet was more interested in keeping the Army of Northern Virginia intact and combat capable as a "force in being" while Lee (correctly or not) decided that the Army had to have a decisive victory in northern territory in order to prove the Confederacy to be a viable going concern
The war was going poorly for the Confederacy. It was not the time for pacivity and maintaining the status quo. Lee was correct that something had to seriously change in order to reverse Confederate fortunes. I'm not sure a Confederate victory in Pennsylvania would have saved Vicksburg or Chattanooga, nor would it have secured foreign recognition for the Confederacy, but just sitting in Virginia wouldn't do any of those things either. Once Lee was in Pennsylvania he pretty much had to attack. He could not have stood on defense.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
You are being modest: I have a collection of my photographs of the corners of buildings, people's elbows and passing clouds :). These new pictures a wonderful! I've never been to Gettysburg so must ask about the other monuments in the first picture: do you know what they represent?
Chlodio's suggestion works for seeing most of the big monuments on that street... the little stones are position markers and flank markers... the actual marker for the 16th's position at 4PM on July 1st is down the road at Mummasburg Rd x Doubleday Ave: Google Maps

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Who needs to travel anymore?
LOL! It's an interesting question, to be sure. But there is something to be said about being there in person, to see the lay of the land in 3 dimensions - walk some of the paths and visualize the distances between positions of certain individuals / opposing sides during certain battles. It becomes very tangible.

It gets me right in the feels.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Just in case the street view was too blurry to make out the regiments... Ive blown up that corner and scrawled the regiments / individuals on it for you... as if that's any easier to read! :lol:

20191210_132303.jpg

That strange horizontal thing in the background is the observation tower so you can look out over the field.