What if No Pickett's charge during Gettysburg?

Jun 2017
maine
Just in case the street view was too blurry to make out the regiments... Ive blown up that corner and scrawled the regiments / individuals on it for you... as if that's any easier to read! :lol:

View attachment 25357

That strange horizontal thing in the background is the observation tower so you can look out over the field.
Thank you! These monuments mark the placement of the various units?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Yes. Most of those monuments, including the 16th Maine (not imaged) were placed there in the 1880s, so I'm sure surviving veterans of those units had some (probably all of the) input about where the monuments were positioned.

It's interesting to see how close the units were, ie, how little frontage each regiment occupied.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
They tend to have rather exact placement markers... the 16th's marker from 2PM is down the road quite a bit (I'm guessing where they were told to withdrawal to and "hold at all costs"... and perhaps very near to where they tore their colors 😥).

The regiments fighting alongside them represent the other monuments (PA 107th; NY 94th out of the shots I took and on the far left).

I will have to go back and take some video of the walk from their placement stone to their flanks so that you can experience the distance, @duncanness ... my plan was to pack up food for the day and walk the monument park all day on Christmas... we'll see what my fam has to say, but... 😏 I didn't get to see all I wanted to this last time.