What if the Germans concentrated their entire thrust at Moscow?

Sep 2016
Georgia
Moscow was probably much more important for logistics in 1941 than in 1812 due to the widespread adoption of railroads during these 129 years, though
Napoleon didn't even plan to capture Moscow in the beginning of his campaign. His goal was to destroy Russian army and sign a new peace treaty with Alexander I. He even prepared to fight Russian army in Poland, at first.

Russians themselves retreated towards Moscow and that is why Napoleon followed them. He understood that in order to win the war, he would have to destroy armies of Barclay and Bagration.

Besides, Napoleon took Vienna in 1805 and 1809. However, Austrians still continued to fight and war ended only after victories at Austerlitz and Wagram.

Sep 2016
Georgia
But as I have seen in interviews, Russian preferred Stalin over Hitler because at least Stalin spoke Russian.
Maybe because Nazis were going to exterminate majority of Slavs and take their lands ? You know that Nazis committed genocide against Slavic population, right ? It wasn't just the Jews.

You also should learn how to speak and read in Russian. Because pretty much all the info that you get in America is naturally going to be heavily biased.

Jan 2017
Sydney
Moscow WAS an important objective , it just wasn't the killer blow
Hitler didn't want a street battle either at Moscow or Leningrad
surrounding it and starving the defenders was the plan

Hitler wanted oil , grain , minerals ........all those things were in the South
taking the South would starve the soviets of their food , resources , lot of their manpower , their coal and and their oil which they needed as badly as the Germans
Hitler was right , as usual and his generals wrong , as usual
being so close made Hadler and Von Kluge simply victory crazy

Jul 2016
USA
Moscow WAS an important objective , it just wasn't the killer blow
Hitler didn't want a street battle either at Moscow or Leningrad
surrounding it and starving the defenders was the plan

Hitler wanted oil , grain , minerals ........all those things were in the South
taking the South would starve the soviets of their food , resources , lot of their manpower , their coal and and their oil which they needed as badly as the Germans
Hitler was right , as usual and his generals wrong , as usual
being so close made Hadler and Von Kluge simply victory crazy
Taking the south would be impossible as a campaign objective. From Warsaw to Rostov on Don is 700 miles. From Rostov to Baku is another 700 miles. That's an impossible distance to cover in a single campaign, especially since the terrain sucked for large scale maneuver warfare until middle of Ukraine, and the Red Army was massed in the South.

The way the German Wehrmacht was set up, the way their general staff and commanders thought, their military tradition, they were a single campaign military force. Short and Lively. Massive decisive victory in a short period by a campaign of military annihilation brought about by Cannae inspired concentric operations based on the doctrine of combined arms maneuver warfare, especially at the operational level.

So whatever hypothetical plan to defeat the Soviets, to be realistic it needs to be done in preferably one summer, at most two.

Sep 2016
Georgia
After the collapse of the Soviet Union. The author is a historian specializing in Russian history. She wanted to tell the real soldiers story, not the official communist history of the war
Many westerners are usually bad at Russian history.

I've also met plenty of veterans, because I actually lived in Russia. Even when I was a kid, almost all of my friends had grandfathers who were veterans or grandmothers who survived the war. Pretty much every Russian family I knew was affected by war in some way or another.

Not to mention, that I also had family members who fought in war. One of them lost his life during Battle of Kursk. Another one managed to survive and participated in liberation of Crimea.
Also, my great-grandfather was a victim of Dekulakization.

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania

Similar History Discussions