What if the Jacobite rebellion of 1745 was successful?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Say Bonnie Prince Charles marches from Derby to London wins an epic battle and is crowned king. How far would he have gone in trying to make England Roman Catholic? How much power would parliament have?

Jun 2017
Connecticut
Say Bonnie Prince Charles marches from Derby to London wins an epic battle and is crowned king. How far would he have gone in trying to make England Roman Catholic? How much power would parliament have?
Act of Settlement undone and they get to be monarch again. Anything more than that would be dangerous for them because the fact of the matter is that in England Catholics are a tiny minority and you can't hold power if that population will not have you. James II learned this the hard way. Also Charles wouldn't be King, his father James III the former Prince of Wales would still be around and ends up living for another 20 something years. Think Charles was fighting on his behalf as James had a pity court set up in France and everything by the Bourbon's.

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
I don't think there's any feasible way it could get that far. The Jacobite army was much worse off than the British one, and they wouldn't have had the resources to take London. It would instate the Old Pretender as king, yes, but I highly doubt that it would last without a rebellion. We see how hard of a time Mary I had trying to impose Catholic rule in England. Almost two hundred years after that, the anti-Catholic sentiment would be more ingrained into society. Even if they took London, the Stuarts wouldn't be back on the throne for long. It's a family tradition to be beheaded or usurped.

(I'm a Jacobite myself.)

Aug 2015
uk
Wasn't the reason that the Jacobite army had been so popular because the English army was in France? The Jacobites would take London, probably without that much of a fight as the current king was ready to flee. But by this stage the monarchy was not what it was and likely Parliament would send the army to defeat the Jacobites.

Charles Stuart hadn't a large army, he didn't get the support from the English he had hoped for , nor had he received the aid he'd expected from France. He would take London and win the throne, but not I expect for very long. With the weakness of kings, such an eventuality could have led Parliament to turning England into a Republic, and forever preventing the threat of one man turning England into a Catholic nation again.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Would anything really change?

By the mid-18th century power had shifted away from the crown to Parliament a new King from a different House has to accept that. If they don't and try and re-impose Charles I beliefs (I seriously doubt they would be that stupid) then they are over thrown.

Details change but were any monarchs in this period really influential?

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Yes, I agree; there would be a change of monarch, but it wouldn't make much difference unless, (a) he tried to reverse the settlement imposed when William and Mary came to the throne, and (b) tried to impose or even take actions in favour of Catholicism; and if he did, that he could hardly have lasted for long. It would have been difficult enough even for him to maintain his rule in any case.

Similar History Discussions