What if the Jacobite rebellion of 1745 was successful?

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
He wasn’t alive in 1745.
I know. But, if James VII/II wasn't willing to revert to Anglicanism, we can see that mentality of "Paris is worth a mass" fall on its face. It worked for Henri IV because he was more of a politique. Also, the core identity of the Stuarts since James VII/II was Catholic. Both Pretenders, Old and Young, would very likely not renounce their faith. If it was that simple, then Charles I could have saved his neck, and James VII/II could have saved his throne. Religious conviction is very deeply ingrained in some people.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I don't think there's any feasible way it could get that far. The Jacobite army was much worse off than the British one, and they wouldn't have had the resources to take London. It would instate the Old Pretender as king, yes, but I highly doubt that it would last without a rebellion. We see how hard of a time Mary I had trying to impose Catholic rule in England. Almost two hundred years after that, the anti-Catholic sentiment would be more ingrained into society. Even if they took London, the Stuarts wouldn't be back on the throne for long. It's a family tradition to be beheaded or usurped.

(I'm a Jacobite myself.)
Be most interested in your take on Culodden. I have the impression that people tend not to understand the extent of the Jacobite defeat, and exactly who they fought.--- --Or have I misunderstood?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OT I went through that general area while back packing in Scotland, back in 2000. I finished my journey at Drumnadrochit on Loch ness. Best holiday ever. Scotland would have to be one of the most beautiful countries in the world. It's certainly one of the most hospitable.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I know. But, if James VII/II wasn't willing to revert to Anglicanism, we can see that mentality of "Paris is worth a mass" fall on its face. It worked for Henri IV because he was more of a politique. Also, the core identity of the Stuarts since James VII/II was Catholic. Both Pretenders, Old and Young, would very likely not renounce their faith. If it was that simple, then Charles I could have saved his neck, and James VII/II could have saved his throne. Religious conviction is very deeply ingrained in some people.
I’m sure it’s very likely that they would not renounce their faith but as it’s Speculative History I’m going to speculate.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
No wuking way it would have got any traction in England !

if anything could get the Tories and Wigs to hug and kiss that would be the thought of an army of rampaging hairy Scotsmen
heading for London
just think of the electoral consequences !
rotten boroughs can only take you so far ,
the London mob might wish to exercise some rough handled justice on traitors

Jan 2014
Westmorland
Why on earth would anything think that was a cause worth standing up for in 2019? (Rhetorical question by the way - not suggesting that you would actually have the answer).

I wonder if it is not more about the romantic Highland past, in which Bonnie Prince Charlie ceases to be a violent, drink-sodden chump and becomes instead an impossibly fey and tragic hero.

Similar History Discussions