What if the Jacobite rebellion of 1745 was successful?

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
Why on earth would anything think that was a cause worth standing up for in 2019? (Rhetorical question by the way - not suggesting that you would actually have the answer).

I wonder if it is not more about the romantic Highland past, in which Bonnie Prince Charlie ceases to be a violent, drink-sodden chump and becomes instead an impossibly fey and tragic hero.
Oh, I know that he would never become king. It's just more... symbolic, I suppose? It's not something you particularly "stand up" for, but like I said, it's symbolic. If that makes sense.

And Charlie only became a violent drunk after the 45. Not excusing him, but contextualising things a bit. Also, the Jacobite tradition started with James II back in '89, so. ;)

Jan 2014
Westmorland
Oh, I know that he would never become king. It's just more... symbolic, I suppose? It's not something you particularly "stand up" for, but like I said, it's symbolic. If that makes sense.

And Charlie only became a violent drunk after the 45. Not excusing him, but contextualising things a bit. Also, the Jacobite tradition started with James II back in '89, so. ;)
Fair enough!

Personally, I'd stick 'em all in the Tower and declare a British Republic!

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
A bunch of joyless evangelists with pudding bowl haircuts banning everything fun? Why on earth would anyone not rush to embrace such a world?
Indeed. The bastards even abolished Xmas. .

Do you think this repression was directly responsible for the relative licentiousness of Charles 11 reign?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Yep , Theaters re-openned with a vengeance , licentiousness was cranked up with glee
satire was blooming under the largely tolerant new regime
women fashion breathed ,
loose hair ( artfully made so ) bare neck , flouncy dresses ...flouncy morals
French fashion was all the rage , the men going for the full bottomed wigs

Similar History Discussions