What if the Royalists won the English Civil War?

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
Charles himself strongly opposed religious persecution. He thought it was awful and tried multiple times to pass legislation that would stop such things, but Parliament balked at such an idea. As Charles once said, "...My words are my own, and my actions are my ministers'."

And there was an English Revolution... Providing that Catharine and Charles did not produce an heir, the crown would still pass from Charles II to James II. During James' reign, we saw the Glorious Revolution, which, although it was bloodless, it was a revolution nonetheless.
There always seemed to be difficulty producing a legitimate heir, so I wonder if Bonnie Prince Charlie could have begot a legitimate son?

Reactions: Futurist
May 2011
UK
The civil war had many causes not just the rights of parliament. Most of Parliament's objectives were achieved before any fighting took place with the triennial act, which guaranteed the existence of parliament and made it's dissolution illegal without its own consent. Charles agreed to this because he understood that England was ungovernable without the consent of the bourgeois. When fighting broke out Charles established his own parliament.

May 2011
UK
A victorious Charles has to strip from Parliament every right it has claimed since Magna Carta, this will give him power over England, including the right to tax without reservation, the right to appoint and dismiss advisors the right to dismiss Parliament, which is now filled with his appointees. Rigged courts issue death the sentence on all parliamentarian leaders.
even the stuarts realised by the 1650s that these type of policies would make England ungovernable. Charles had already agreed that his attempts at self rule were not constitutional before fighting broke out and agreed to compromise that parliament could exist through the triennial acts.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The civil war had many causes not just the rights of parliament. Most of Parliament's objectives were achieved before any fighting took place with the triennial act, which guaranteed the existence of parliament and made it's dissolution illegal without its own consent. Charles agreed to this because he understood that England was ungovernable without the consent of the bourgeois. When fighting broke out Charles established his own parliament.
Why did war break out, then?

Jun 2017
maine
The impact on the US--especially New England--would have been considerable (following up on #8). As it was, the Boston area and Connecticut were greatly settled by Puritans fleeing the turmoil or England or having been booted out. Three Regicides came to New England (Whalley & Goffe went first to Boston and then to Connecticut; Dixwell went directly to Connecticut) where they were met with tacit support. The cultural affect of so many Puritans (some of them likely to be quite aggressive--maybe even Oliver Cromwell himself) certainly would have been felt.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Why did war break out, then?
The trigger was King Charles's intrusion in Parliament to arrest some MPs for treason.

King Charles and Parliament also had legal ordinances for troops issued, and the King raised his standard in Nottingham by declaring all those who oppose him as traitors.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
If I were alive back then, I'd have been a Roundhead, but an Anglican, and not a Puritan like Cromwell was.
The Puritans were extremists and extremists do not tolerate any deviation from orthodoxy. You would have to go to America. Cromwell didn't live long enough to deal with the colonies, but if he did you would have to move again.:mad:

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
The Puritans were extremists and extremists do not tolerate any deviation from orthodoxy. You would have to go to America. Cromwell didn't live long enough to deal with the colonies, but if he did you would have to move again.:mad:
Not all were alike. Cromwell himself thought that the Major-Generals were extreme.
Not all Roundheads wanted to kill King Charles. Sir Thomas Fairfax and the Earls of Essex and Manchester didn't. Cromwell only wanted to as a last resort, and proposed peace terms to King Charles.

Reactions: redFusilier