- Jul 2012
It has been approximated, not sequenced. Because of decay of fossils, only an insignificant part (~0.03%) of actual Neanderthal DNA could be extracted. The rest 99.97% was 'approximated'.The only way we would know this for sure is if we cloned a Neanderthal. The first step to cloning a Neanderthal is to sequence its entire genome, and that has been done.
For perspective, human and chimp DNA was sequenced using 100% of actual DNA strands.