What if you became Fuhrer in June 1942?

Mar 2019
Kansas
It was probably not wise to disagree with the fuhrer. :)
It is really an extremely complicated issue. Hitler needed the invasion for economic reasons, and would not listen to anyone who told him it was a bad idea economically. The military's view of the operational was insanely optimist. And they made some serious miscalculations about Soviet industrial capacity or even available manpower.

And of course there is always the specter if the Germans hadn't, the Soviets would have

Aug 2016
US&A
I'd shave the mustache. Seriously, I would start listening to my generals.
I am not sure how true this is, but some believe that captured Nazi generals over-exaggerrated Hitler's unwillingness to take their advice in an effort to reduce their own responsibility for Germany's defeat.

EDIT:
Oops, I see someone has already mentioned this. Nevermind.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Well in spring of 1942 you can always say that it was a result of a few officials getting overenthusiastic in their carrying out of orders.
The mass extermination was approved at the Wansee conference in January 1942 (before that it was the old and tried machine gunning / shooting etc...)... So by June 1942 the Holocaust was not in high gear quite yet

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
So I suddenly become fuhrer through a time teleport to June 1942 which magically also makes me instantly speak fluent german

What exactly would be my goal do you suppose (once the initial shock and terror of the event has receded) ? Cause my base solution would be to negotiate surrender and stop the war....

Mar 2019
Kansas
What exactly would be my goal do you suppose (once the initial shock and terror of the event has receded) ? Cause my base solution would be to negotiate surrender and stop the war....
I think the best outcome you could hope for would be a cease fire or peace treaty. Surrender would mean repatriation, and Germany was already broke. Possibly hand back France, keep Poland, not sure about the low countries or North Africa.

Maybe sweeten the deal and offer to attack Italy lol