What is Ecclesia?

May 2019
Belarus
I read it ,and I don't know what it means?
Explain to me please, because I want to know it know it please

Nov 2016
Germany
I read it ,and I don't know what it means?
I think I was a little too rude with my answer yesterday and would like to deal with the question more objectively today.

The name Ecclesia is derived from the ancient Greek term for people's assembly (ἐκκλησία) and was first used to describe the local Christian community. In the Middle Ages the term was used to describe Christianity as a whole.

At the same time, the name is metaphorically linked to a female figure, which shows that the deeper meaning of both Ecclesia and the Church is associated with the female sex, more precisely: the maternal. One also speaks of the "Mother Church", which shows clearly the origin of this idea from the ancient mother goddess.

This is a representation of the female Ecclesia. The chalice in her left hand is psychologically a vagina symbol and stands for female fertility. The ´Holy Grail´ is also a chalice to which Dan Brown in ´Da Vinci Code´ assigns the unconscious meaning of a vagina, too.

1558978168606.png

The origin of the idea of a protecting goddess can be traced back to the early-historical institution of the ´Sacred Marriage´. This rite was performed on occasion of the enthronement of kings, with the king acting as a shepherd god and the high priestess acting as a heaven goddess. The rite was initially performed by sexual intercourse in a temple and later by symbolic enactment.

In Judaism, since it had abolished all goddesses, the concept of sacred marriage was transformed into the ´love´ of Yahweh to his people Israel. In early Christianity this concept was again transformed into the marriage of Christ and the ´New Jerusalem´, see the last chapters of John´s Revelation. The ´New Jerusalem´ stands for people which have been chosen by ´God´ to live in the ´Kingdom of God´, while the so-called sinners are delivered to eternal pains in hell.

Now, the church, the Ecclesia, is seen to be the earthly manifestation of the New Jerusalem and thereby fullfils the role of the bride of Christ. As a mother she gives metaphorically birth to the people of ´God´.

Judaism has endeavored to abolish the idea of a mother goddess but integrated it unconsciously into its concept of Yahweh who has some maternal features. In Christianity, the mother goddess was ´reborn´ (1) in the concept of ´Mother Church´ and, later, (2) in the idea of the divine mother Mary.

As to baptism, this rite symbolizes the insemination of the ´Holy Spirit´ into the soul of the believer. This spirit is said to come from ´God´. Thus baptism is sort of spiritual seminal fertilization by which the believer becomes procreated as a member of ´God´s´ kingdom. For example, see John´s gospel 3,5 "born from water and spirit". Thus the circle is closed: ´God´ procreates his people by insemination and Mother Church (= Ecclesia) gives birth to them.

Last edited:

Earl_of_Rochester

Ad Honoris
Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
I presume you're referring to my post? I intended it to be interpreted as 'the church and congregation as part of a community'.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Mah ... the original "ecclesia" was the assembly where persons voted the laws written by the boulé. That is to say it was the "Ekklesia".

It wasn't said it was a "church".

Since Christians created "Ekklesia" to gather, they actually changed the original meaning of the word ... this is why in Italy we know the word "Chiesa" as a description of a place where Christians gather.

Similar History Discussions History Forum Date
Archaeology