What is it with the Dogon?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I keep seeing crazy theories involving the Dogon. They are just one ethnicity of the tens of thousands that exist in Africa. Why choose them?
What crazy historical theories did you saw about them? (I am assuming that you are referring to historical theories).

I confess that due to my ignorance on the subject, I had to search for “Dogon” in the internet.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I believe the Ancient Aliens show may have popularized them, they were mentioned quite a few times there.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I believe the Ancient Aliens show may have popularized them, they were mentioned quite a few times there.
You made me smile, but I confess that I didn’t knew if you were joking or serious! Then I when to the net again… and you are correct. :D

But if it is about aliens, and speculative TV shows, they aren’t history theories as I was assuming in my previous post.

Mar 2019
Kansas
You made me smile, but I confess that I didn’t knew if you were joking or serious! Then I when to the net again… and you are correct. :D

But if it is about aliens, and speculative TV shows, they aren’t history theories as I was assuming in my previous post.
The Dogon's fame stretches back well before speculative TV shows were a thing. It had been known for a long time they seemed to have astronomical information that should be impossible for them to have. The reality is far less mysterious. An astronomical expedition into the region in the 19th century seems to be the most likely source of the cultural contamination.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The Dogon's fame stretches back well before speculative TV shows were a thing. It had been known for a long time they seemed to have astronomical information that should be impossible for them to have. The reality is far less mysterious. An astronomical expedition into the region in the 19th century seems to be the most likely source of the cultural contamination.
Thanks. Seems a reasonable explanation.

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
General History
Middle Eastern History

Similar History Discussions