What is the best version of Otto von Bismarck's Memoirs in English?

Aug 2019
Denver, CO, USA
I have really fallen in love with Political History this past year and would love a look at realpolitik from the man himself. I would like to find the most similar translation to purchase both volumes in English. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Futurist
Nov 2016
Germany
I have really fallen in love with Political History this past year and would love a look at realpolitik from the man himself. I would like to find the most similar translation to purchase both volumes in English. Any suggestions?
As far as I know, there is no new translation of the memoirs. The English translation from 1899 has a reputation of being hastily produced and not very precise. In addition, Bismarck did not write his memoirs (which he dictated and then proofread) objectively, but distorted some events in a way that puts him in a more favorable light.

Biographies and Other Books - Pathfinder: Otto von Bismarck

This work, again, not to be confused with A.J.P. Taylor's biography of the same name, represents the complete memoirs of Bismarck in two volumes, written after his retirement and translated into English later on. As with all memoirs, the student of history should exercise due caution, as memoirs generally are not unbiased accounts at the very least. Getting the perspective of Bismarck himself, however, is valuable enough that his memoirs merit inclusion here. It is not recommended that students read this work until after having read at least one biography of Bismarck in order to understand some of the events which Bismarck describes and to help them recognize bias or unsubstantiated claims when they find them.

Bismarck, the Man & the Statesman: Being the Reflections and Reminiscences of Otto, Prince Von Bismarck - 1, Page iii by Otto von Bismarck. | Online Research Library: Questia

Bismarck, the man and the statesman; being the reflections and reminiscences of Otto, Prince von Bismarck : Bismarck, Otto, Fürst von, 1815-1898 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Reactions: Futurist