What is the future of humanity?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Bertrand Russell's book (or long essay) of Has Man a Future is several decades old; it may be a good starting point while it is quite dated.
I wrote previously on human traitors of humanity in the Three-Body Problem: the Past of Earth (三体之地球往事)by Liu Cixin (刘慈欣).
These human traitors often fail to fulfill their ideals of suffer from previous human abuses.
They consider advanced, interplanetary extraterrestrials as saviours of humanity.
In the reality, we have not contacted extraterrestrials yet; then, humanity currently is facing a few crises:
The plastic waste is killing our ecosystem.
Human overpopulation and desires for better standard of living are stretching our ecosystem to the limit.
Some of our resources are depleting.

How is the future of humanity?
How can humanity fulfill its full potentials?
What are the greatest threats to humanity?

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Northern part of European lowland
Bertrand Russell's book (or long essay) of Has Man a Future is several decades old; it may be a good starting point while it is quite dated.
I wrote previously on human traitors of humanity in the Three-Body Problem: the Past of Earth (三体之地球往事)by Liu Cixin (刘慈欣).
These human traitors often fail to fulfill their ideals of suffer from previous human abuses.
They consider advanced, interplanetary extraterrestrials as saviours of humanity.
In the reality, we have not contacted extraterrestrials yet; then, humanity currently is facing a few crises:
Human overpopulation and desires for better standard of living are stretching our ecosystem to the limit.

I am not so sure we should talk about those notions without being very careful about what we mean. "Traitors of humanity"? What makes them "traitors"? Is "humanity" a cause? Should we even think we know what the "full potentials of humanity" is? I don´t think we know or can know yet. Much of the future, or most, is for future generations to decide. Though of course here it is implicit there will be future generations. So perhaps the closest to an answer: avoid making future generations lives impossible. Offer them the possibility to inherit what we see as the best.Much of the rest should be up to them to decide.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
I am not so sure we should talk about those notions without being very careful about what we mean. "Traitors of humanity"? What makes them "traitors"? Is "humanity" a cause? Should we even think we know what the "full potentials of humanity" is? I don´t think we know or can know yet. Much of the future, or most, is for future generations to decide. Though of course here it is implicit there will be future generations. So perhaps the closest to an answer: avoid making future generations lives impossible. Offer them the possibility to inherit what we see as the best.Much of the rest should be up to them to decide.
In the novel of The Three-Body Problem: Past of Earth (三体之地球往事), the human traitors are collaborators of the extraterrestrials known as Trisolarians; they form an organization named "Earth Three-Body Organization" that aid the planned Trisolarian invasion.
They believe that humanity cannot stand on its own feet and require external helps.
If the similarities with Christianity are noted, it is not all that surprising.
Alas, more than a fair share of humanity doesn't want to stand on its own feet and look fair and square at the world, with all its glories and deficiency. The previous passage is paraphrasing Bertrand Russell.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon

1. We will most likely destroy ourselves within 50 - 150 years from now. By the time we realize global warming, deforestation, plastic and chemicals must be dealt with, it will be too late.

2. We need to establish colonies on other planets.

3. We need to immediately establish colonies on other planets.

Not unique ideas, either.

About the aliens. Everyone needs to snap out of Hollywood. We are primitive and destructive and inefficient; we do the best we can, but that is what we are. We have Narcissistic Species Disorder and are being kept under tough love surveillance. Also, it may not be possible for us to understand aliens more than it is for a squirrel to understand us, but I don't think it's that far off. With all of the articles and testimony from the past, there is apparently a real interest by the phenomenon in our military and nuclear weapons; seeing that it could have destroyed us long ago, one would like to attribute an altruistic intent to most of their actions, thus far. Even the Nimitz incident.

Last edited:

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Northern part of European lowland
In the novel of The Three-Body Problem: Past of Earth (三体之地球往事), the human traitors are collaborators of the extraterrestrials known as Trisolarians; they form an organization named "Earth Three-Body Organization" that aid the planned Trisolarian invasion.
They believe that humanity cannot stand on its own feet and require external helps.
If the similarities with Christianity are noted, it is not all that surprising.
Alas, more than a fair share of humanity doesn't want to stand on its own feet and look fair and square at the world, with all its glories and deficiency. The previous passage is paraphrasing Bertrand Russell.
OK. I don´t truly understand what this is all about then, but I confess I did not read any of those two. I admit I often have some doubts about humans.

Feb 2017
Minneapolis
It's clear to me humanity's purpose is to become pure entertainment absorption organisms. I think we'll get there if Mother Nature doesn't dispose of us first. Technology will advance to a state where there won't be anything else for us to do.