What is the future of humanity?

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Why Are Young People Having So Little Sex?
"He had better luck with Tinder than the other apps, but it was hardly efficient. He figures he swiped right—indicating that he was interested—up to 30 times for every woman who also swiped right on him, thereby triggering a match. But matching was only the beginning; then it was time to start messaging. “I was up to over 10 messages sent for a single message received,” he said. In other words: Nine out of 10 women who matched with Simon after swiping right on him didn’t go on to exchange messages with him. This means that for every 300 women he swiped right on, he had a conversation with just one." :)
...So, the future is well-teken care of dogs and cats! Fine by me. I see they are taking the place of babies in commercials these days, too...

Last edited:
Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Poverty is related to fertility but only indirectly through its influence on education.[/QUOT

Well, I've done some reading. Wasn't able to find studies supporting your claim. I must have missed them. Could you possible give me a few links to a few peer reviewed papers?

No evidence? You might want to read a newspaper or watch the evening news occaisionally. It betrays our flaws on a daily basis.
What do you MEAN? I never said that human beings are flawless, I was responding to your meaningless comment that the human species is "a hopeless creature." Please explain what you mean by that.
I don't pretend to be an 'expert' nor am I writing a report on the subject.
But you are making huge assertions about the whole of humanity. You said ", there is now way food production can keep pace and sooner or later the limits will be reached". We have pointed out that there is more than enough food in the world, though it is not distributed evenly. So there IS a way (redistribution) that everyone can be fed.

Personally - and I suspect you will contest the point - I would avoid using any report as evidence of future result.
But you seem to firmly believe in a particular future result. You seem to be fascinated by the exponential growth of the human population, and seem to be saying that it will always be exponential until the point is reached when a certain limit is unexpectedly hit, then there will be a massive and painful population reduction. I simply ask, why should any of us believe what you say?

Your position reminds me of the Club of Rome report of 1971, when a team of scientists used computers to try to predict the future of humanity using computers (probably computers with less power that is in the average smartphone today). Their one assumption was exponential growth, that the world's population, production, consumption and pollution would continue to grow exponentially, as it had done for the previous 20 years. Their projections showed that humanity would run out of vital resources such as oil and copper, but that, even if that didn't happen, there would be a population collapse around 2020 due to huge pollution (defined as pollution 100 times greater than that of Los Angeles in 1970).

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
What do you MEAN? I never said that human beings are flawless, I was responding to your meaningless comment that the human species is "a hopeless creature." Please explain what you mean by that.

But you are making huge assertions about the whole of humanity. You said ", there is now way food production can keep pace and sooner or later the limits will be reached". We have pointed out that there is more than enough food in the world, though it is not distributed evenly. So there IS a way (redistribution) that everyone can be fed.

But you seem to firmly believe in a particular future result. You seem to be fascinated by the exponential growth of the human population, and seem to be saying that it will always be exponential until the point is reached when a certain limit is unexpectedly hit, then there will be a massive and painful population reduction. I simply ask, why should any of us believe what you say?

Your position reminds me of the Club of Rome report of 1971, when a team of scientists used computers to try to predict the future of humanity using computers (probably computers with less power that is in the average smartphone today). Their one assumption was exponential growth, that the world's population, production, consumption and pollution would continue to grow exponentially, as it had done for the previous 20 years. Their projections showed that humanity would run out of vital resources such as oil and copper, but that, even if that didn't happen, there would be a population collapse around 2020 due to huge pollution (defined as pollution 100 times greater than that of Los Angeles in 1970).
I cherish my Chinese heritage and love talking about "Huangdi era 4715” (or the Daoist calendar 4715 for 2018)
Let's talk about the development since 4701 (2004) to today.
The 48th Huangdi century.......

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Yuval Noah Harari mentioned that Homo erects was a longer lasting species of the Homo genus, and we are quite unlikely to break such record.
What are the opinions about it?

Sep 2012
India
Homo Sapiens is in dire danger of destroying the entire race on its own. Nuclear warheads are ready to destroy civilised and peaceful nations. Ambitions to dominate the world or at least the neighbouring nations lie not far below in the minds of rulers of primitive societies like Pakistan. While Pakistan is a certain threat to the civilisation and peoples of South Asia, its bosom friend the PRC is not too far in trying to rule South and Southeast Asia by a show of nuclear power.
Not a rosy future for humanity, I say.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
We leave earth and colonise distant worlds.
Or we die on this rock.
I keep hearing this notion of migrating to the stars. People tend not to mention anything as prosaic as actual numbers. A nice idea, .but nothing to do with me or the other 999.99-whatever the unsaved percentage might be.

When you say 'we', I'm pretty sure that means 'they'.----I suspect it will have to be a relatively small number, say a breeding population, or even several. That's a few thousand, max. They would all need to have some pretty impressive skills.

Similar History Discussions