What is the future of humanity?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Oh,OK . Have not read that novel. Pretty much stopped reading fiction quite a few years ago.

Not sure 50 billion is at all sustainable. I suspect we would run out of resources long before that population was reached.

True enough that humans are unimportant, but I think only in the sense that we're no more important than any other species. But, my species is of paramount importance to me, and I am exceedingly important to myself
I forgot who ignites the poet in me; then, free verses are easy to read and fun to write:

Believe to be the centre of existence,
bring themselves to the pinnacle,
The grasp of humanity,
Is as tenuous as a thread.

The human existence
As tenuous as it is,
We cherish what we have done,
and what we are about to do.

(I know my free verses are crude and unrefined; then, they are reignited at least.)

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Is the following video realistic?

Could our current quality of life be achieved without fossil fuels?

May 2019
Portugal
Is the following video realistic?

Could our current quality of life be achieved without fossil fuels?
Some of the facts would need further confirmation but i think the overall picture, with more or less centuries to go, will be dark... the fact is that in our day to day basis we are blinded to the problem we are creating.

Jan 2017
Sydney
Yes the video is quite realistic ,
one could argue about the timeline but we are running out of crude oil pretty fast

ask yourself the question ,
is there a solar plant factory powered solely by solar panels

this is the point about EROEI , energy return on energy input ,
a concept totally ignored by many ecologists who only concern themselves with the suburbia lifestyle
I.E no industrial transport , no planes , no permanent grid for hospitals , retails or public buildings and no manufacturing

Aug 2014
Australia
We will never run out of crude. Peak demand will hit long before peak supply does. There will still be crude in the ground when we stop using it. At some point it will become uneconomical to extract the remaining reserves and we will complete the move to alternatives. We have already started to do this.

Jan 2017
Sydney
" At some point it will become uneconomical to extract the remaining reserves "
of course , once extraction cost more than it return the fossil carbon is left in situ , that's more or less the whole point

Similar History Discussions