What is the future of humanity?

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
Get over yourselves and relax, girls and boys. You have no discernible effect on the climate......
You breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon dioxide. The effect of the individual is small, to say the least, but there are rather a lot of us these days and we continue to deforestate which prevents balancing our output. Also we piss and poo. We litter. We leave manufactured items after they are considered useful. We change land use, sometimes land form, and only tend to worry about the conesquences afterward (Aral Sea anyone?) And as for some of these electric cars everyone is praising, the harmful effects of producing them are being a little conveniently ignored.

Sep 2015
England
Bertrand Russell's book (or long essay) of Has Man a Future is several decades old; it may be a good starting point while it is quite dated.
I wrote previously on human traitors of humanity in the Three-Body Problem: the Past of Earth (三体之地球往事)by Liu Cixin (刘慈欣).
These human traitors often fail to fulfill their ideals of suffer from previous human abuses.
They consider advanced, interplanetary extraterrestrials as saviours of humanity.
In the reality, we have not contacted extraterrestrials yet; then, humanity currently is facing a few crises:
The plastic waste is killing our ecosystem.
Human overpopulation and desires for better standard of living are stretching our ecosystem to the limit.
Some of our resources are depleting.

How is the future of humanity?
How can humanity fulfill its full potentials?
What are the greatest threats to humanity?
Bertrand Russell apparently said the folowing: '‘Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education’.

'Over the centuries there have been many occasions where a notion was adopted by the majority, and imposed on suffering innocent citizens, only to be debunked later...'

If that really doesn't register, then we have been, and will continue to be under threat!

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Bertrand Russell apparently said the folowing: '‘Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education’.

'Over the centuries there have been many occasions where a notion was adopted by the majority, and imposed on suffering innocent citizens, only to be debunked later...'

If that really doesn't register, then we have been, and will continue to be under threat!
If our current education isn't quite working, what should we do?
Why is our education isn't quite working?

Feb 2012
Important point given the spread of animal husbandry around the world. The methane given off by herds of cattle must be considerable and will get worse as farming attempts to supply population increases. The recent calls for alternative diets are noteworthy, but one suspects that insect protein is not much better en masse than cattle when it comes to methane production. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I did read somewhere that termites are pretty bad for greenhouse gas emissions.

Dec 2011
Important point given the spread of animal husbandry around the world. The methane given off by herds of cattle must be considerable and will get worse as farming attempts to supply population increases. The recent calls for alternative diets are noteworthy, but one suspects that insect protein is not much better en masse than cattle when it comes to methane production. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I did read somewhere that termites are pretty bad for greenhouse gas emissions.
We can forget about eating insects, in my opinion, because I think most people would see their country turned to a desert, rather than have a plateful of bugs for their dinner; having people eating insects instead of cows is simply a non-starter. It is generally believed that insect populations are declining anyway, so you can be sure that if large numbers of people did start consuming them, there would be plenty of campaigners saying "Oh we really must cut down on our insect eating".

There is more chance of people eating a vegetarian diet, and that would definitely cut land use and emissions.

Sep 2015
England
dreuxeng said: 'Over the centuries there have been many occasions where a notion was adopted by the majority, and imposed on suffering innocent citizens, only to be debunked later...'

If that really doesn't register, then we have been, and will continue to be under threat! Bertrand Russell apparently said the folowing: '‘Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education’.
If our current education isn't quite working, what should we do?
Why is our education isn't quite working?
I only said "if". Clearly we will be under a certain threat given the usual human deficiencies - including a tendency to irrational thinking. The Disparity. As a people if we can further avoid being introduced to destructive & hateful ideology, beginning in the home, so much the better. Richard Dawkins said that religion poisons everything; but what of ideology ?!

Similar History Discussions