What is the future of humanity?

Jan 2017
Sydney
" We can forget about eating insects, in my opinion, because I think most people would see their country turned to a desert, rather than have a plateful of bugs for their dinner "

certainly , I would rather turn to cannibalism than becoming vegan , in fact I have started munching my neighbor wife

Feb 2012
We can forget about eating insects, in my opinion, because I think most people would see their country turned to a desert, rather than have a plateful of bugs for their dinner; having people eating insects instead of cows is simply a non-starter. It is generally believed that insect populations are declining anyway, so you can be sure that if large numbers of people did start consuming them, there would be plenty of campaigners saying "Oh we really must cut down on our insect eating".

There is more chance of people eating a vegetarian diet, and that would definitely cut land use and emissions.
Well, as much as you dislike the idea of insect protien (and you're not alone, believe me) those proposing this idea are well aware of the resistance they might encounter which is why the pro-insect messages have started to appear in the media. Ultimately you might not be left with any choice. It's either bugs or starve, because irrespective of whatever alternative is suggested, it's becoming quite clear that our population growth will eventually exceed the capacity of animal husbandry to feed them according to western norms.

Dec 2011
Well, as much as you dislike the idea of insect protien (and you're not alone, believe me) those proposing this idea are well aware of the resistance they might encounter which is why the pro-insect messages have started to appear in the media. Ultimately you might not be left with any choice. It's either bugs or starve, because irrespective of whatever alternative is suggested, it's becoming quite clear that our population growth will eventually exceed the capacity of animal husbandry to feed them according to western norms.
It's completely absurd to say "either bugs or starve". If it was really true that population growth will make it difficult to grow enough food, including meat (and I don't believe that will come true) then we would simply go vegetarian, which is much more efficient.

Dec 2015
Florania
  • VHS

VHS

It's completely absurd to say "either bugs or starve". If it was really true that population growth will make it difficult to grow enough food, including meat (and I don't believe that will come true) then we would simply go vegetarian, which is much more efficient.
Some may argue that humans are naturally omnivorous, while I am certain that many vegetarians thrive.
Why are current humans mostly omnivorous?

Dec 2011
Some may argue that humans are naturally omnivorous, while I am certain that many vegetarians thrive.
Why are current humans mostly omnivorous?
Presumably because evolution is slow and we are still basically the same as we were 20,000 years ago, when we all found it hard to find enough food, and those who would eat anything nutritious, including meat, and even insects, survived better than those who wouldn't or couldn't.

Feb 2012
There are plenty of primitive peoples (no insult intended) today who eat insects. The Australian aboriginies are past masters of this sort of thing. It's called survival.

Absurd? it's becoming common enough to see such things mooted in science magazines.

Aug 2014
Australia
There are plenty of primitive peoples (no insult intended) today who eat insects. The Australian aboriginies are past masters of this sort of thing. It's called survival.

Absurd? it's becoming common enough to see such things mooted in science magazines.
The world's insects are in rapid decline right now.
Insects Are Rapidly Disappearing Around The World, Leaving Scientists Horrified
What do you think will happen if they become a major food source for humans?

Similar History Discussions