What is your Favorite Comedy Movies?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Not many recently. All British

Snatch

Snatch (stylized as snatch.) is a 2000 British crime comedy film written and directed by Guy Ritchie, featuring an ensemble cast. Set in the London criminal underworld, the film contains two intertwined plots: one dealing with the search for a stolen diamond, the other with a small-time boxing promoter (Jason Statham) who finds himself under the thumb of a ruthless gangster (Alan Ford) who is ready and willing to have his subordinates carry out severe and sadistic acts of violence.

Snatch (film) - Wikipedia

The Commitments and The Van with Colm Meaney.

The Commitments is a 1991 musical comedy-drama film based on the 1987 novel of the same name by Roddy Doyle. It was directed by Alan Parker from a screenplay written by Doyle, Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais. Set in the northside of Dublin, the film tells the story of Jimmy Rabbitte (Robert Arkins), a young music fanatic who assembles a group of working-class youths to form a soul band named "The Commitments".

The Commitments (film) - Wikipedia

In Brugues.

In Bruges is a 2008 black comedy crime film written and directed by Martin McDonagh. The film stars Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson as two Irish hitmen in hiding, with Ralph Fiennes as their enraged boss. The film is set and was filmed in Bruges, Belgium.

In Bruges - Wikipedia

Brendan Gleeson has made some very funny films. Worth having a look at his filmography.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Could we include favourite TV comedy series?

I have a few, mainly British. Favourite US comedy: LA Law; the whole cast is great, especially William Shatner, James Spader and Candice Bergen..

UK; Steptoe and Son, and Till Death Us Do Part.

Monty Python

But, hands down best TV comedy series of all time in my opinion :"Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" I have them all on DVD, and still watch them sometimes. Probably helps a lot that I was a civil servant most of my working life. The two series go together to make a savage satire of the civil service, certainly in England and Australia, and I suspect of just about any large bureaucracy

Jan 2017
UK
Duck Soup: Anarchic political satire from the Marx Brothers. The mirror scene is still a classic

Kind Hearts & Coronets: Dennis Price is 8th in line to a Dukedom, out of revenge he decides to murder his way to become a Duke.

Happy End: A man's story is told from birth till death, only the whole movie is played backwards from death till birth, the protagonist narrates the story as if it's from birth till death. A gimmick, but a clever one.

El Verdugo: Spain under Franco. An undertaker with ambitions of becoming a mechanic in Germany falls for the daughter of an Executioner. Fate and the state ensures he takes a different route than planned.

Providence: John Gielgud is an elderly novelist unable to sleep in his crumbling mansion. He dreams up a new novel involving his family members.

Feb 2012
Portugal
Haven't been in to that for sometime but Roman Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killers, the Marx Brothers, Jerry Lewis and the Carry On series and the Trinita's series.

Last edited:
Aug 2015
uk
Could we include favourite TV comedy series?

I have a few, mainly British. Favourite US comedy: LA Law; the whole cast is great, especially William Shatner, James Spader and Candice Bergen..

UK; Steptoe and Son, and Till Death Us Do Part.

Monty Python

But, hands down best TV comedy series of all time in my opinion :"Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" I have them all on DVD, and still watch them sometimes. Probably helps a lot that I was a civil servant most of my working life. The two series go together to make a savage satire of the civil service, certainly in England and Australia, and I suspect of just about any large bureaucracy

Yes Prime/Minister is superb, laugh-out-loud comedy. Superb actors, great script. The Key is one of my favourites, as is the one Sir Humphrey is indiscreet in a radio interview, and Bernard telling the press that the PM is above the law and of course Hacker describing the atrributes of newspaper readers.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Yes Prime/Minister is superb, laugh-out-loud comedy. Superb actors, great script. The Key is one of my favourites, as is the one Sir Humphrey is indiscreet in a radio interview, and Bernard telling the press that the PM is above the law and of course Hacker describing the atrributes of newspaper readers.
--- and Bernard pipes up "Sun readers don't care who runs the country as long as she has big tits "

I have English friends with a son called "Bernard". At 11 he was quite precocious. One night, sitting at the table after dinner, a dream came true; Bernard interrupted, so I said" Yes, thank you Bernard"" parents laugh, kid looks confused.

A good friend gave me the complete DVD set for Xmas some years ago.

Similar History Discussions