What is your Favorite Comedy Movies?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase comes to mind at the moment. Also Meet the Parents with Ben Stiller and Robert De Niro.
Sadly, there is a group of American Comedic actors I think are as funny as cancer: My list includes Chevy Chase, Ben Stiller, and Will Ferell. However they don't hold a candle to the truly ghastly Ray Romano and Jerry Seinfeld----and what on earth has happened to Robert De Niro, one of the best actors of his generation? Over the last few years he has made some dreadful films.
I realise there is a teensy possibility I'm in the minority here.:rolleyes:

Loved Robin Williams.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Sadly, there is a group of American Comedic actors I think are as funny as cancer: My list includes Chevy Chase, Ben Stiller, and Will Ferell. However they don't hold a candle to the truly ghastly Ray Romano and Jerry Seinfeld----and what on earth has happened to Robert De Niro, one of the best actors of his generation? Over the last few years he has made some dreadful films.
I realise there is a teensy possibility I'm in the minority here.:rolleyes:

Loved Robin Williams.
Their comedy is so goofy it is a relief to me, as I am a serious person (too serious). Kind of like Monty Python and Benny Hill was to me as a youth. My mother cringed when my brothers and I watched those comedies in the 1970s.

Rules Of The Game (1939): Bunch of rich people go to a country estate in France for the weekend, love triangles become rectangles & every other shape in Jean Renoir's greatest film. Screenplay satirises an entire class of people, actors give life to said caricatures. Jean Renoir (son of Philippe Auguste) is excellent as Octave & as Director.

His Girl Friday (1940): Rapid-fire screwball comedy with Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
@Eye of Woland

"His Girl Friday (1940): Rapid-fire screwball comedy with Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell."

Yep,Hollywood made a bunch of terrific screwball comedies in the 30's-40's; I got to see dozens.TV was relatively late coming to Oz. My family got its TV in 1960. There was a massive back catalogue of fantastic old films. Comedies such as "Adam's Rib", Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn. "It happened One Night",Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert, The terrific "Thin Man" Series, William Powell and Myrna Loy .They all had one thing in common ; wit. A rare commodity in Hollywood films generally today.

.In those days the Academy Awards apparently seemed real. I stopped watching the awards about 30 years ago.------------Seems a lot of the general public still believe. Probably the same people who believe campaign promises made by politicians .

I grew out of goofball comedies around age 12. ----and yes I take myself far too seriously at times.

Good current film: This week, the excellent "Green Book".

Oct 2009
San Diego
Favorite comedy movies:
Oh Brother Where art thou
The Big Leibowski
Dogma
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
The Bank Dick
Never Give A Sucker an Even Break
Super
Fargo
Mr. Right
The Princess Bride

Favortie Comedy TV:
The Colbert Report
Frasier
Seinfeld
Northern Exposure
Moonlighting

Trouble in Paradise: A swindler tries to cheat a rich lady out of her fortune only to fall for her. This scene is classic Ernst Lubitsch

Bienvenido Mr Marshall: Dirt-poor Andalucian town is notified of Americans bearing gifts. The locals do their best to make the town look pretty for "Mr Marshall".

La Poison: Dark comedy about a provincial man who cannot stand his wife, a radio show featuring a super lawyer gives him an idea in this dark comedy.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
A comedy TV show that I liked to see when I was a teen was M*A*S*H:

M*A*S*H (TV Series 1972–1983) - IMDb
Me too.Even dad liked it. However, in the last couple of seasons,, I began to see Hawkeye as a self righteous prig. I thought I may have been a bit harsh. I mentioned this a to a doctor friend, who told me that was the opinion of pretty much all of his colleagues.

The first few season were great. Fond memories of Klinger especially . Particularly loved the episode were he dressed like the Statue of Liberty (with sparkly torch) as general MacArthur drives past, and salutes. .

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
"Shot in the Dark" from the Pink Panther movies (the billiards scene between Peter Sellers and George Sands still leaves me helpless with laughter)
Charlie Chaplin's "Gold Rush"

Similar History Discussions