What is your Favorite Comedy Movies?

Aug 2015
uk
Me too.Even dad liked it. However, in the last couple of seasons,, I began to see Hawkeye as a self righteous prig. I thought I may have been a bit harsh. I mentioned this a to a doctor friend, who told me that was the opinion of pretty much all of his colleagues.

The first few season were great. Fond memories of Klinger especially . Particularly loved the episode were he dressed like the Statue of Liberty (with sparkly torch) as general MacArthur drives past, and salutes. .
I enjoyed MASH, but the laughter track made it (almost) unwatchable. Some incredibly sad moments too.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
I like the old classics a lot:

Some Like It Hot (1959) - IMDb (Jack Lemmon is one my favourite actors of all time)

The Odd Couple (1968) - IMDb (Walter Matthau was another favourite comedian, the grumpy archetype)

Cat Ballou (1965) - IMDb (A hilarious Western film parody, Lee Marvin excelling as the drunkard pistolero and Jane Fonda a sight to behold)

The Party (1968) - IMDb (Oh yes, Peter Sellers. One of the best actors of all time. This film has given me more belly laughter than any other, to the point that it becomes painful)

These two Monty Python films:

Life of Brian (1979) - IMDb

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - IMDb

Also:

Annie Hall (1977) - IMDb (Some very memorable Woody Allen lines in there)

Those two Coen films:
The Big Lebowski (1998) - IMDb (a classic by now, Jeff Bridges at his best)

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) - IMDb (an amazing, hilarious adaptation of Odyssey in the 30's US South)

And:
A Fish Called Wanda (1988) - IMDb

Just this scene would suffice

The Money Pit (a young Tom Hanks, low profile film but still, some hilarious moments there)

Favourite comedy series: Black Adder
All seasons, but especially the last one set in WWI. Witty British humour at its best, Rowan Atkinson really acting (don't really like the Mr. Bean type of comedy).

And of course, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Sep 2015
USA
Edratman,
really like your nominations. I have gotten to the point that I watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels about every 6 months or so. I think it might be, to me, the best comedy of the 1980s or anytime thereafter. I really like PT&A too, especially John Candy - one of the most touching performances in any film. Steve Martin is the common denominator of both films, but in DRS I have to give the majority of the credit to Caine I think as well. The scene where he (Caine) is dancing with Glenne Headly and Martin is still relegated to his bogus handicap personage and while looking out toward them Caine turns and gives the most devilish smile, lol.

Others from that era, I would say Beverly Hills Cop with Eddie at his best. If Risky Business is considered a comedy it would be very high - Heathers as well.

From the more classic era, Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) by Robert Hamer and starring Dennis Price and Alec Guinness is tremendously funny - with both leads at their all time best.

And then for pure eliciting of laughter, I guess I might have to say The Big Lebowski - rewatched it a few months ago, and so much of it still is just hilarious to me. The Dude (Jeff Bridges) of course, and De Jesus, Jackie Treehorn and all the rest - but what really takes it over the top is Walter, as played by the eternally underrated John Goodman.

"Forget it Donny, you're out of your element!"

Dec 2014
Wales
I've always been a real Mel Brooks fan - Young Frankenstein, The Producers, and of course Blazing Saddles are my favourites, but I loved Robin Hood: Men in Tights and History of the World Part 1 almost as much.

On the British side, Hot Fuzz has been mentioned, but I preferred Shaun of the Dead.

Movies:

Duck Soup (1933)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Airplane! (1980)
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983)
Team America: World Police (2004)
Burn After Reading (2008)
The Drawn Together Movie: The Movie! (2010)

Tv Series:

Not Only... But Also...
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Seinfeld
South Park
Family Guy
American Dad
Drawn Together

Last edited:
Well, it is corny , but it has to be my fav part of a comedy movie .

Something I find interesting about this scene. The scene is hilarious for several reasons, but watching it nowadays I think many viewers enjoy it in part for the retro-silliness of the dancing. But the exaggerated dancing is of course parodying how people actually danced at the time the movie was made. I find that interesting to think about, because the scene would therefore mean something different to someone watching in 1980 than in 2019.

Similar History Discussions