What is your Favorite Comedy Movies?

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Rules Of The Game (1939): Bunch of rich people go to a country estate in France for the weekend, love triangles become rectangles & every other shape in Jean Renoir's greatest film. Screenplay satirises an entire class of people, actors give life to said caricatures. Jean Renoir (son of Philippe Auguste) is excellent as Octave & as Director.

His Girl Friday (1940): Rapid-fire screwball comedy with Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell.
I don’t think Rules of the Game is a comedy, but haven’t seen the restored version. Maybe a tragi-comedy.

His Girl Friday is my second favorite. My favorite is Bringing Up Baby, also by the great Howard Hawks. Whenever I think about “ there are no leopards in Connecticut” I start chuckling.

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
Fawlty Towers is the best comedy series ever written. Blackadder and Yes Minister are close seconds.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is the best comedy movie followed by Life of Brian.
I'd agree with all that, except I'd put Life of Brian first.
I also agree with the mentions of Duck Soup, and some other Marx Brothers (I enjoyed the mirror scene clip, thanks).

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Films: All the Naked Gun and Airplane movies. I recently watched all the Police Academy movies again and really enjoyed the first three. And Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

TV Series: Blackadder II, III, Goes Forth, and Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister.

Radio shows: The Goon Show.

I absolutely love the Princess Bride, but I don't view that as an our and out comedy movies.

I'd agree with all that, except I'd put Life of Brian first.
I also agree with the mentions of Duck Soup, and some other Marx Brothers (I enjoyed the mirror scene clip, thanks).
I personally prefer Holy Grail over Life of Brian since Holy Grail manages to never stop making jokes, from the opening credits to the abrupt ending. But I can see why Life of Brian receives more critical praise. For a start, it has more depth. And there are many great routines.

Duck Soup is fantastic, although A Night at the Opera is a close runner-up.

Last edited:
Films: All the Naked Gun and Airplane movies. I recently watched all the Police Academy movies again and really enjoyed the first three. And Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

TV Series: Blackadder II, III, Goes Forth, and Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister.

Radio shows: The Goon Show.

I absolutely love the Princess Bride, but I don't view that as an our and out comedy movies.
The Goon Show is brilliant.

The first series of Blackadder is my favourite, and you left it out! I love having Baldrick as a schemer, Peter Cook as Richard III and Brian Blessed as Richard IV. I love the villains: 'The Thrush', 'The Witchsmeller', the six most evil men in the land. It's beautifully shot. It's also a fun bit of alternative history, and since I watched it first, a part of me long wished the other series also had more of an alternative history element to them.

Similar History Discussions