What is your Favorite Comedy Movies?

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
I personally prefer Holy Grail over Life of Brian since Hole Grail manages to never stop making jokes, from the opening credits to the abrupt ending. But I can see why Life of Brian receives more critical praise. For a start, it has more depth. And there are many great routines.

Duck Soup is fantastic, although A Night at the Opera is a close runner-up.
I tried to find the clip on Youtube but couldn't - but I do love the scene in Night at the Opera when Harpo comes in through the porthole, sees the three beards spread out on the bed cover and the look of delighted mischief when he thinks of snipping them is wonderful.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" - lots of big stars from that period including numerous cameo appearances.
"What's Up Doc?" - several of the supporting actors also appeared in some of the early Mel Brooks' movies including Madeline Kahn, Kenneth Mars, John Hillerman, and Liam Dunn. Others like M. Emmet Walsh and Sorrel Booke became more famous later in their careers.
"Dr. Strangelove"

Mar 2019
Kansas
""What's Up Doc?" - several of the supporting actors also appeared in some of the early Mel Brooks' movies including Madeline Kahn, Kenneth Mars, John Hillerman, and Liam Dunn. Others like M. Emmet Walsh and Sorrel Booke became more famous later in their careers.
I saw this when I was eleven. Instant and enduring crush of Barbara Streisand. Saw it again last year for the first time since the new century. Was pleasantly surprised how well it still stood up

Jan 2012
edge of ceasars empire
As this is a history forum. Two of my all time favourite Historical comedies Carry on Cleo a superb mickey take of the Taylor and Burton's movie ''Cleopatra'' (if I remember rightly the carry on team used some of the sets and costumes from ''Cleopatra'') Featuring Kenneth Williams in the role of Caesar with the immortal line ''infamy infamy they've all got it in for Me!!!''. Then there is what is probably the most popular Carry on movie of all ''Carry on up the Kyber'' a wonderful send up of all those 1940's and 50's movies about ''daring do'' on the North West frontier.
Blackadder is one of my favourite TV comedy series and like an earlier poster I too liked series one as it's the most imaginative, Blackadder 2 (Elizabethan) was the best for laugh out loud moments. Blackadder 3 didn't care much for it on it's first showing but its grown on me as I've watched the reruns. Blackadder 4 while it's much loved by the general public, personally I'm not that keen on it as most of the plots are a rehash of the Blackadder 2 scripts.
Love Mel Brookes films too my favourite being ''Young Frankenstein'' .

Similar History Discussions