What is your opinion of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk?

What is your opinion of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk?

• Total voters
Feb 2014
Asia
Obviously, they are Muslims. However, I differentiate centre-right-wingers from Islamists. The latter follows an Arabic/orthodox interpretation of Islam, whereas the the former follows Turkish interpretation. Turkish interpretation is much less radical.
May I know what it means by Turkish Islam. Is that the Kemalist version of Islam or traditional Turkish Islam as it was during the Ottoman period ?

ps: I've never personally seen anyone on the right-wing of the political spectrum labeled themselves as "Kemalist/Ataturkcu". Some (I'd like to say "a good portion", but I am not quite sure) of them love and respect Ataturk, but that's about it.
What about the Democratic Party (Demokrat Parti) and its predecessor Justice Party (Adalet Partisi), they were Center-Right and also claimed Kemalist.

Mar 2016
Antalya
May I know what it means by Turkish Islam. Is that the Kemalist version of Islam or traditional Turkish Islam as it was during the Ottoman period ?
It's older than Ottoman Empire, it goes really far back. I'd definitely start it from Seljuk Turks.

What about the Democratic Party (Demokrat Parti) and its predecessor Justice Party (Adalet Partisi), they were Center-Right and also claimed Kemalist.
I have never heard such thing, like DPs saying they are Kemalists. Although Adnan Menderes left (kicked?) CHP and joined DP, I doubt anyone considers him a Kemalist. He's an opportunist centre-right-winger.

Mar 2012
Magdeburg

In traditional Turkish view of Islam, most of the parts which include violence/killing etc etc is repeatedly ignored. Turkish view takes(or used to) take the good and positive sides, which was mostly due to the effect of Sufis such as Rumi and Bekthasi which were based on Anatolia. Fundemantalism and perverses such as arabic islam and wahhabism were completely alien to turks (except those who settled there obviously). However after the Selim I and conquest of middle east, and with the opportunist goatlovers such as erdogan, you can see what wahhabism can cause to those who are not educated enough, especially in rural areas.

Mar 2016
Antalya
[...] which was mostly due to the effect of Sufis such as Rumi and Bekthasi which were based on Anatolia.
I disagree to be honest. It has little to do with Sufism. It's probably due to Tengrism and/or pre-Islamic culture. Arabic interpretation (salafi/wahhabi/whatever) was simply incompatible with the way Turks lived. Although this is not a scholarly claim, this is what I think. In fact the tolerance advocated by various Islamic views in Anatolia are probably due to the heritage of Turks' pre-Islamic culture. Perhaps people with knowledge on this issue could enlighten me as well.

Last edited:
Jun 2016
istanbul
I disagree to be honest. It has little to do with Sufism. It's probably due to Tengrism and/or pre-Islamic culture. Arabic interpretation (salafi/wahhabi/whatever) was simply incompatible with the way Turks lived. Although this is not a scholarly claim, this is what I think. In fact the tolerance advocated by various Islamic views in Anatolia are probably due to the heritage of Turks' pre-Islamic culture. Perhaps people with knowledge on this issue could enlighten me as well.
Jewish and Orthodox Christianity has quite strong effect on Turkish Sufism. That's why it's more "universally pleasing" than pure Arab version of Islam.

Feb 2017
Manisa
Jewish and Orthodox Christianity has quite strong effect on Turkish Sufism. That's why it's more "universally pleasing" than pure Arab version of Islam.
Our islamic chants are directly byzantine chants. Just turned to turkish. Most of us are muslim byzantines. We are the same people that lived here 3000 yers ago. That is why ataturk made connections to hitites and other anatolian civs.

Mar 2016
Antalya
But Turks meeting with Islam is older than Turks moving into Anatolia. Turks were already had their Islamic culture up and going back then.

I think I misunderstood you. Are you saying our current "tolerant" interpretation of Islam is based on Jewish (did you mean Judaism?) and Orthodox Christianity?

ps: By "current", I mean Anatolian version of Islam, not implying today's understanding.

Last edited:
Mar 2016
Antalya
Our islamic chants are directly byzantine chants. Just turned to turkish. Most of us are muslim byzantines. We are the same people that lived here 3000 yers ago. That is why ataturk made connections to hitites and other anatolian civs.
Not really, we are not. Current Turks in Turkey are genetically diverse, coming from Balkans, Caucasus, Levant so on and so forth with recent Altaic contribution (for Anatolians). The genetic stock of pure Anatolians is long lost.

I am not sure why Ataturk made connections to ancient Anatolian civilizations. The genetic knowledge was absent in his age as far as I know. Perhaps he read some scholarly work and drew some parallels. All in all, however, I think all the effort was, sadly, a product of an inferiority complex back then considering Central Asian peoples/cultures were considered at the lowest level together with Africans.

Last edited:
Jun 2016
istanbul
Man, I knew you have something special. :lol:

My own research is exactly like yours. I will create a thread soon.

Jun 2016
istanbul
But Turks meeting with Islam is older than Turks moving into Anatolia. Turks were already had their Islamic culture up and going back then.

I think I misunderstood you. Are you saying our current "tolerant" interpretation of Islam is based on Jewish (did you mean Judaism?) and Orthodox Christianity?

ps: By "current", I mean Anatolian version of Islam, not implying today's understanding.
Sorry, I meant Judaism. I think tolerant interpretation of Islam, pacifism and "love" phenomenon is based on Orthodox christianity, "deep" theology of Sufism is based on Judaism and Kabala. There are some academic papers on them, I will share when I have time.