What Kind of Weapons Indo-Aryans used when they ilentered into India ?

Aug 2019
India
We have references of Aryans using Carts, Chariots etc in Rig-Veda but nothing on what kind of weapons they used during that time period.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Not sure about weapons, but the Indo-European Hittites in the mideast also were noted for chariots. It is likely that chariots, and more advanced uses of horses and metal working helped them roll into Europe and Asia.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
No, Specul8 is right. RigVeda spans from something like 6,000 BCE to today. It is quite possible that Indra used a horse's femur in his fights (though it is a bit short).
That is perhaps how we have the myths about Indra's Vajra and Thor's Mjölnir. Indra's vajra was made from the skeleton of Sage Dadhyancha (Dadhichi) in the form of a horse.
My brother and his friends in medical college used human femurs from their rooms and labs to settle scores with the students of the local agricultural college. It was their weapon of choice.
It gives a very good hold and is very strong.

The myth says the demons of darkness could be killed only with a weapon from the bones of the Sage. Sage agreed and asked Indra to kill him and use his bones. But Indra said that he would not kill the Sage. So, the Sage took the form of a horse, and Indra took the form of a lion to kill him. This story is a puranic extension.

Last edited:
Nov 2016
Germany
RigVeda spans from something like 6,000 BCE to today.
As far as I know, the early dating ´from 6,000 BCE´ is concluded from astronomical data in the text. I would be interested to know which text passages are assigned to this early phase. Can you link them or quote them in detail? I am less interested in the astronomical references than in the general content of these passages.

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Rigveda no where mention about any migration into Sapta Sindhu, so what weapon they were having couldn't be known.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
There are many topics in the forum relating to Indo-Aryans where I have quoted them. Kindly see the topics by making a search in the forum. Or better, I would suggest that you read two books by B. G. Tilak on which I base my posts: 1. 'Orion or the Researches into the Antiquity of Vedas' (first book, smaller), and 2. 'Arctic Home in Vedas' (second book, published later, a bit longer). Both the books are available in PDF form from Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine. Let me link them to you: The Orion or Researches Into the Antiquity of the Vedas : Lokamanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive and https://archive.org/details/TilakLokamanyaTheArcticHomeInTheVedas1903470P.

Understanding this may be a bit difficult in the beginning if you are not familiar with Indian astronomy, but have a go through. The page where Tilak discusses this:
Orion.png

Last edited:
Nov 2016
Germany
There are many topics in the forum relating to Indo-Aryans where I have quoted them. Kindly see the topics by making a search in the forum. Or better, I would suggest that you read two books by B. G. Tilak on which I base my posts:
Thanks.