What makes Kosovo a Serbian land and why should it join Serbia?

Oct 2019
West Virginia
Clinton supported the Albanians because it was in American interest to support them. Yes, they justified by saying they were preventing next Srebrenica, but when they could find no Serb atrocities on that scale in Kosovo, they faked Račak in order to justify the bombing.
You are correct that "American interest" in the affair did include the necessity to oppose the Serbs because of their friendliness with Russia.

I should have said perhaps that despite such motivation, Clinton couldn't have gotten away with it absent the prior Serb atrocities in Bosnia.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Why? He could have still said the US was protecting the Albanians. Sure, Serb dirty laundry from Bosnia helped to fuel that argument, but it could have been made without Bosnian events. And even further, why should the previous Serb atrocities suddenly make the Serbs bad guys forever?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
The last few posts have been venturing into post 1991 politics. Moderators are watching this thread.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The reason why Kosovo is so important to Serbia is that the medieval battle of Kosovo is the most important event in Serbian history. It's the stone on which the Serbian patriotism and pride is built upon, many songs have been written about that event, the battle reached an almost mythical status for the Serbs. Combine that with the fact that Kosovo was the center of medieval Serbian state and that many Serbian monasteries and churches such as Pećka Patrijaršija and Visoki Dečani are located in Kosovo, it's not hard to see why is Kosovo so important to Serbia.
Couldn't one make a similar claim in regards to Kiev and Russia, though?

Oct 2019
West Virginia
Why? He could have still said the US was protecting the Albanians. Sure, Serb dirty laundry from Bosnia helped to fuel that argument, but it could have been made without Bosnian events. And even further, why should the previous Serb atrocities suddenly make the Serbs bad guys forever?
Public perception is not always rational or balanced.

But I do think we're post-1991 here... hard to discuss Kosovo without crossing that line.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I have a question for forum staff. Is it ok to write here about Slovenian independence in 1991?
The reason for the 1991 rule, especially when it comes to the Former Yugoslavia, is that those events still arouse very strong passions. History should only be discussed dispassionately and many Historum members find it difficult to do so about recent events. I know Slovenia was able to establish its independence much more peacefully than some other parts of the Former Yugoslavia, but I don't know how I can allow a discussion of Slovenia but disallow a similar conversation about Kosovo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist
Sep 2019
Slovenia
The centre of medieval Slovenia was in what is Austria today. Gosposvetsko polje. But today the majority of people in Koroska are Austrians. So pretty much similair situation as it is with Serbia and Kosovo i would say.

Ok Chlodio i agree, i asked because the line 1991 is not the same for Kosovo and Slovenia. Kosovo became independent after war between Nato and Serbia in 1999 but Slovenia 8 years before. Yet it is a border issue ok...

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Public perception is not always rational or balanced.

But I do think we're post-1991 here... hard to discuss Kosovo without crossing that line.
@Chlodio
When are we expecting a decision regarding including at least the succeeding seven years after the dissolution of the Soviet Union as fair for discussion??? Wasn't there an expression that most of mod team was prepared to advance that date? My misperception or not?