What rendered the Renaissance and technological explosion possible?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Where Pica hudsonia thrives
The Renaissance and technological explosion happened since the 1400 (or arguably after the Mongolian invasion of Europe.)
The book Technics and Civilization might have explained it quite well; the topic is too broad to be treated in a single book.
In horology, the first pocket watch (with only the hour hand) emerged around 1520 CE; relatively accurate timepieces only emerged in late 1800's. Current mechanical watches (with full shock resistance, relatively high precision, automatic winding) have only been around for 70 years.
Why precision timing alone took so long to develop?
Relatively high speed Internet emerged in the 1990s and later, multimedia became readily available on the Internet.
How did computer technologies boom from the 1980s to the current time?
Internet speed is a big thing here.

Sep 2017
United States
Well, I think for the Renaissance, the "rediscovery" of classical civilization and renewed interest in science and art helped make it possible. Additionally, the move of populations into towns and cities helped make that kind of development possible and the increasing centralization of the government also helped.

As for tech expansion, generally technology grows exponentially as new sciences and advancements unlock more doors. With the birth of the computer, everything got steroids as computers make research, studying, testing, storing data, etcetera many times easier.

Most scientists today would be absolutely crippled if computers were taken from them. Everything from simple note recording to complex simulations are on computers.

As for how computers developed themselves, I'm not sure on the specifics, but one step forward leads to more steps forward as more minds turned towards computer sciences and built upon progress.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I still have in a drawer my old trusty logarithmic slide rule
from time to time , It is used as a conversation piece
the youngsters do wonder how anything could work without a battery pack

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
The Black Death of the 1300s created a labor shortage which did a couple of things. One, it stimulated technological innovation. People were now motivated to find ways of doing work by machine that formerly had been done by hand. Second, the labor shortage forced labor to be reallocated more efficiently than serfdom had allowed. In Western Europe, serfdom died out shortly after the Black Death. Spike mentioned people moving from farms into towns and cities. That was impossible under serfdom when people were legally bound to the soil they were born on. Serfdom bound people to an agricultural way of life. When serfdom died, other opportunities came along - opportunities to create, invent, buy and sell, etc.

Oct 2018
Baku, Azerbaijan
You already mentioned mongolian invasions, and we shouldn't forget about the crusades, all these helped europeans to get acquanted with eastern and islamic technological and scientific achievements, i think these aspects also triggered the renessance.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The little ice age was a time of great progress , so the meteorological picture is somewhat unclear
the Crusade , the various expedition to Byzantium ......

my personal one , the flow of money generated by the international Italian trade .
it is telling that the two greatest pole of culture were Italy and Flanders
both , far seeing trading areas with extensive international networks
private and public wealth express itself in display of munificence and patronage ,
taking inspiration from foreign ideas
this was the very fertilizer of intellectual pursuits

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Long term periods of higher temperatures as well as long term stretches of cooler temperaturs are not inherently good or bad. Both good and bad things can happen in either one. It's the short term transition from one to the other that causes a lot of trauma. Over the long term humans are adaptable and can thrive in either higher or lower temperatures. It's the great change in a short period of time that gets us.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
@ chlodio , I would agree , even then it's less the weather than the effect on the food supply .
to stay on the OP ;)
The renaissance developed from private merchants wealth would be my first stop

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
The Renaissance and technological explosion happened since the 1400 (or arguably after the Mongolian invasion of Europe.)
The book Technics and Civilization might have explained it quite well; the topic is too broad to be treated in a single book.
In horology, the first pocket watch (with only the hour hand) emerged around 1520 CE; relatively accurate timepieces only emerged in late 1800's.
Very accurate chronometer date from the the late 18th century, and pocket watches in the late 18th century using the lever escapement were accurate to minute a day, although this escapement did not become common until the first winter of the 19th century.

Current mechanical watches (with full shock resistance, relatively high precision, automatic winding) have only been around for 70 years.
Why precision timing alone took so long to develop?
As I said, very accurate chronometer were around by the later 18th century. But it took longer for advances in mass production of precision machining to make accurate time keeping affordable. And the invention of artificial rubies made them cheap enough to use in watches for improve accuracy. Advances in one area often require advances in other areas.

The ancient Greeks couldn't produce accurate chronometer because they didn't have the advances in metallurgy to make them possible. The alloys use, and the precise control on the metal composition and processing was not available to them. Even the spring steel required to power the watches wasn't available to them.

Mechanical clock accuracy are affected by temperature and motion, and it took a great deal of development to compensate for these affects. Stationary pendulum clocks in the 27th century were fairly accurate, but they did not need to compensate for movement.

Relatively high speed Internet emerged in the 1990s and later, multimedia became readily available on the Internet.
How did computer technologies boom from the 1980s to the current time?
Internet speed is a big thing here.
You have more people working on the problems, including more people from around the world like China, and not judt from Europe. Better tools such as computers to help find solutions. And more money available to solve the problems.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions