What theme/context in history would you weave a story out of?

Oct 2015
Norway
I would like to see a good big-budget movie set in the Norse world, in other words a quality viking movie. It's Incredible that no such movie has been made yet. Can you imagine if there were no good westrerns or samurai movies?

I alos like the idea of a tragic love tale of a Byzantine soldier during the fall of Constantinople. That civilization has been mostly overlooked in movies.

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
I would like to see a good big-budget movie set in the Norse world, in other words a quality viking movie. It's Incredible that no such movie has been made yet. Can you imagine if there were no good westrerns or samurai movies?

I alos like the idea of a tragic love tale of a Byzantine soldier during the fall of Constantinople. That civilization has been mostly overlooked in movies.
Great! Can you think of a particular thread set in the norse world?

The American Civil War is just full of incredible stories which, by themselves, could make a decent movie.
But how about a tense thriller based on the real-life plot to launch a biological attack on the Union and kill Lincoln? Here's what I wrote about it in a previous thread:
A Kentucky doctor, Luke Blackburn, was well respected for his research into Yellow Fever. When the war broke out, the doctor wanted to use his medical expertise to aid the Confederate cause, relocating to Canada where he could better plan. He traveled to Bermuda, where there had been an outbreak of Yellow Fever, and under the guise of attending to the sick, gathered together numerous blankets and bedsheets stained with the vomit of the afflicted.
Blackburn's aim was to create a pandemic in the North, which had less experience with the disease and so may be more susceptible to its spread. With the promise of a big cash payout, he enlisted an accomplice to convey the spoiled garments to the North, even to Washington DC, hoping to kill President Lincoln.
Unwisely, Blackburn consistently withheld the promised money, which led to his henchman running off to the authorities and revealing the entire plot in exchange for immunity. Interestingly, he also revealed that the plan had been funded by Confederate spymaster Jacob Thompson, and that knowledge of the scheme extended to Confederate President Jefferson Davis.
Now, let's say this was a movie. You'd have to change the disease, as what Blackburn didn't know was that Yellow Fever could only be spread via mosquito. Also, you'd probably need to include a good protagonist, and so could use any number of Union spies as inspiration for the hero. But if you took a few little liberties, I could see it being a pretty engaging crime story, following the villains as they form their plan, and the heroes as they try to keep up.

Oct 2016
Merryland
a biography of Vauban
peasant soldier who became a Marshall under Louis XIV. arguably greatest military engineer ever.

heard a story about a US Army Colonel during the Battle of Bastogne. lots of stragglers from overrun local units streaming into the city; he organized them and gave them assignments and helped win the battle. great example of an ad-hoc operation.

would be interesting to do a work on a Japanese unit in WWII what got 'bypassed' by the US forces, thus not getting attacked but no longer being supported. imagine them trying to keep their guard up while running out of supplies. they would probably engage in gardening and fishing. how would they deal with the natives? might be based on the units in Rabaul.

Similar History Discussions