what was anne of cleves's title before she became queen of england?

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Presumably just Anna von von Jülich-Kleve-Berg. Her father was a Duke (Herzog).

P.S, Title-wise, she could presumably be described as Anna, Princess of Jülich-Kleve-Berg.

Last edited:

pikeshot1600

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
Sorry, I just made an addition, I think she could be described as 'Prinzessin von J.K.B', and I see that she and her sisters are also described as 'Herzogin von J.K.B': I'm afraiid I don't understand the arcana old minor German royal families of this kind!

https://gw.geneanet.org/cvpolier?lang=en&n=von+julich+kleve+berg&oc=0&p=anna
Well, this weekend a modern minor German royal family will be represented at Harry's wedding. Prince Philip is a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg and of course Charles, William and Harry are all descended as well.

Historically, the "arcana" of Schleswig-Holstein is one of the greatest mazes of all time :). It will still be a vestigial remain in Saturday's event.

Last edited:

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Some people have even been known to confuse the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg with the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg! :lol: I think all of these people are descended from a younger son of a Danish king in the 16th Century. It was always useful to have a few spare princesses around in the good old days, before princes started marrying American actresses; one didn't have to pretend to understand their family history, one could set some flunkey to work to check whether the family was kosher and did not originate from something horrific like a morganatic marriage. Not that the British royal family has ever worried about things like that, otherwise they wouldn't have allowed George V to marry a princess of Teck.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Sorry, I just made an addition, I think she could be described as 'Prinzessin von J.K.B', and I see that she and her sisters are also described as 'Herzogin von J.K.B': I'm afraiid I don't understand the arcana old minor German royal families of this kind!

https://gw.geneanet.org/cvpolier?lang=en&n=von+julich+kleve+berg&oc=0&p=anna
This was not an "old minor German royal family". A royal family is a family whose head rules a kingdom and is a king. They were a noble or princely family.

The J.K.B family was what could be called a furstenhaus or princely house. Princely counts, landgraves, margraves, counts palatine, princes (fursten), dukes, etc. who ruled immediate states of the empire were all classified as princes (fursten), since they were the first or principal men in their states and collectively the first and principal men in the empire.

As a general rule, only one man could be the duke of a duchy, but sometimes two or more brothers might share the rule of the duchy, and sometimes a duchy might be divided into two or more smaller duchies to be ruled separately by brothers.

And eventually it became the practice for some or all the male members of a ducal dynasty to use the title of duke, whether or not they had duchies to rule, and for some or all the female members to use the title of duchess despite not ruling duchies.

Members of a ducal dynasty who weren't allowed to use the title of duke might be allowed to use the lower title of furst or prince. Similarly if a state was ruled by a furst or prince, some or all members of his family might be allowed to use the title of prince, while those members of his family not allowed to use the title of prince might be allowed to use the lower title graf or count.

The heads of dynasties decreed house laws to rules the status and conduct of members of their families, house laws which had to be approved by the emperor.

In German the members of royal families are title Prinz and Prinzessin, prince and princess, and those are also titles of lesser members of a princely dynasty.

I don't know what titles the daughters of a Duke of Kleves, Julich, and Berg would have been allowed to use in the lifetime of Anne of Cleves (1515-1557).

It is quite possible that an English language biography of Anne of Cleves gives her German title(s).