What was General Pinochet like as a person?

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
@Dayton Lavon Kitchens i should say i agree. Around 3000 deaths were confirmed after investigations the number includes the deaths which were result of fighting during the military coup. Majority was killed in the first phase. Many were also exlied or imprisoned and tortured. Leftists tried to attribute 30.000 or even more deaths to Pinochet. In communist purges thousands of people were often killed in one day.
He was a murderer. He was a dictator. He was corupt. He used torture and widespread human rights abuse.

Sep 2019
Slovenia
Also lady Thatcher confirmed that in her view it should be respected that Pinochet introduced demoracy in Chile. Marxists wanted to destroy it forever.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Also lady Thatcher confirmed that in her view it should be respected that Pinochet introduced demoracy in Chile. Marxists wanted to destroy it forever.

Dictator militarily coup. Suppression of democracy, mass arrests, tortuore, human rights abuses....

To say Pinochet introduced democracy to Chile is to airbrush history so it's unrecognizable,

Really can you try to even remotley objective about history rather than yourconstant heavily slanted view the simply does not respect the facts

Reactions: Tulius

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
In 1978 Argentina almost declared war on Chile, because of several small islands issue between these countries (the Beagle conflict), so despite that officially the Chile maintained a strict neutrality during the Falkland war they provided support for the British.

Regarding why the anti-communists in general speak highly about Pinochet, one has to understand that the commies of the old (communist regimes before the collapse of the eastern block) adored Salvador Allende for some reason, he had monuments etc. On the other hand Pinochet was regarded by them as Great Satan or something, so the anti-commies being a mirror image of the bloody commies apparently said to themselves, oh this guy is one of us, he should be a nice guy. He was anti communist all right but this didnt make him a democratic leader or even benevolent dictator.

Sep 2019
Slovenia
It is not about general Pinochet was good, but i think it was completely normal that the west took him as an ally against much greater evil of communism. What mrs. Thatcher said that Pinochet decided to introduce democracy in Chile is also very much true. When Pinochet saw that cold war ended he allowed democracy back. Preparations for the return of democracy started even before in 1980 when new constitution was approved by popular vote. It became fully effective in 1990 and amended considerably on 17 August 1989 again by popular vote.

Sep 2019
Slovenia
Compared with Pinochet in Peru so called 'Shining path' maoist movement killed at least 30.000 people. Before mr. Pugsville will feel the need to again defend communism claiming that i should not quote Black book of communism because it is ''exaggerating''
let me explain that the number of killed is higher than that written in this book according to later studies of Peruvian truth commision. And leader of Shining path Guzman who was later put on trial and is serving life sentence was claiming that revolution will cost one milion lives.

Reactions: macon

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Compared with Pinochet in Peru so called 'Shining path' maoist movement killed at least 30.000 people. Before mr. Pugsville will feel the need to again defend communism claiming that i should not quote Black book of communism because it is ''exaggerating''
let me explain that the number of killed is higher than that written in this book according to later studies of Peruvian truth commision. And leader of Shining path Guzman who was later put on trial and is serving life sentence was claiming that revolution will cost one milion lives.
The very authors who contribited to this book criticize the book for exaggerating numbers and sloppy and biased scholarship. It's not a great source. You seem to be relying soley on suspect and extrmeely politically bias sources who simply are not objective. read more widely. I'm not dfeneiidng any of these regimes. But saying one should be a little more rigorous in choice of sources to relay on.

Moreover, two of the book's main contributors—Nicolas Werth and Jean-Louis Margolin—as well as Karel Bartosek[6] publicly disassociated themselves from Courtois' statements in the introduction and criticized his editorial conduct. Werth and Margolin felt Courtois was "obsessed" with arriving at a total of 100 million killed which resulted in "sloppy and biased scholarship"[19] and faulted him for exaggerating death tolls in specific countries.

Feb 2019
Serbia
He came to power with a military coup, ruled as a dictator, executed and arrested political opponents, both real and imagined.

I'm not a fan of communism at all but to claim that Pinochet introduced democracy in Chile is bizarre to say the least.

Dec 2013
Arkansas
In real life, you seldom get to choose between and a monster and an angel. In most cases it's a choice between a monster and someone merely "bad". I think Pinochet was "merely bad". Much like Franco in Spain.

Reactions: macon and Menshevik