What was needed to stop the 60s liberal revolution in its tracks?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
One of the things that I find ironic is that most of the peace and love hippies from the 60s have grown old to be bitter, vengeful judgemental people who epitomize what they supposedly opposed in their youth. Well, at least that has been my experience.
A few who did aslot of drugs and survived are curiosities not taken seriously by anyone. One of the few survivors I admire is Germaine Greer. I like some of her newspaper articles.

Not sure all hippies were smart enough to end up bitter and twisted. My observation is that young dickheads usually grow up to be old dickheads.

I have a vivid memory of what you would call a female hippy: Short, thin, long blonde hair. She was reading history at university. She lived in an old house with her boyfriend and two other couples. They were building a concrete yacht in the back yard (I kid you not)

She was painting a mural on thee lounge room wall; it was the cover of a book by Carlos Castaneda, a complete fraud who claimed to be an anthropologist. The hippies loved him because he wrote about the wonderful, mind expanding effects mescaline. As I said,. young dickheads-------------

What happened? The household split up, half finished yacht left in back yard as gift to landlord. Herself became pregnant after finishing with university and her then boyfriend, who I liked a lot.Don't know what happened after that.She looked and behaved a bit like Forest Gump's Jenny.. By That I mean she was flaky, not promiscuous

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I used to think that the liberal wave of the 1960s in the US ended with Richard Nixon's election in 1968. Now I think it ended for good with Jimmy Carter and his "Great Malaise" speech. Add that to the antics of brother Billie and the "killer rabbit" episode and culminating in the 444 days of captivity of US embassy personnel in Tehran. If that's not enough, how about stagflation and 21% mortgage rates (if your credit was good). No wonder old Ronnie looked good!

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I used to think that the liberal wave of the 1960s in the US ended with Richard Nixon's election in 1968. Now I think it ended for good with Jimmy Carter and his "Great Malaise" speech. Add that to the antics of brother Billie and the "killer rabbit" episode and culminating in the 444 days of captivity of US embassy personnel in Tehran. If. that's not enough, how about stagflation and 21% mortgage rates (if your credit was good). No wonder old Ronnie looked good!

Indeed, and HE was demented for a lot of his presidency.Me, I never trust an older man who dies his hair.

Mortgages here reached 17%., Fortunately, I was married at the time and we both worked --we lived on one wage, and used all the other to pay off the mortgage.We did that three times, between 1979 and 1989, moving up market each time., and making capital gains profits each time.. in between, we lived an affluent lifestyle. It was during that period I concluded the secret to a comfortable life for a working person is no mortgage and no use of credit.-This approach includes the need to accept the concept of 'delayed gratification' :rolleyes:

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Well given the economic recovery of the 80's, and the opening of serious nuclear arms reduction talks with Gorbachev, maybe a little dementia isn't all that bad.:drool:
Yup.

I'm looking forward to mine, as long as it is Alzheimer's rather than hardening of the arteries. People with Alztheimer's apparently don't suffer, they just fade away, layer by layer. OF COURSE, it's no fun at all for people around them..Arterial sclerosis is horrible; I watched my dad die with it by inches, over years.

At the time, I once read . The president ,Mr Reagan (who is not now and has never been senile) said today----------. I wonder what the chances are for the incumbent White House resident?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
IMHO men in politics are best suited for high office in their fifties. They have the experience and hopefully enough working grey matter for the job if they are qualified in the first place. For women it might be a bit later. As for the current incumbent : :vomit:

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
IMHO men in politics are best suited for high office in their fifties. They have the experience and hopefully enough working grey matter for the job if they are qualified in the first place. For women it might be a bit later. As for the current incumbent : :vomit:
Sounds about right.

Remember the saying "Youthful enthusiasm is no match for old age and treachery"

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
What was needed to stop the 60s liberal revolution in its tracks and restore 50s conservatism, basically confine liberlism to legal equality for blacks that is basically it, without the sexual revolution? For all the arguments that cultural liberalization was inevitable, and is a byproduct of the media, China did manage to bring liberalism to a crashing halt in 1989, and the Arab world did become liberal and secular in the 60s and 70s before become Islamicized again, and Indonesia has actually become more culturally Islamized since the end of Suharto. Would it require the conservatives in the 50s to be more extreme, like forcibly break up hippy commune by force and to double down on decency laws, and arrest or jail leading liberal personalities, sort of a milder version of Franco's Spain? It seems that from the results of the election of 1968 and 1972, the cultural liberals were basically confine to the coastal cities, there would have been support from the moderates and more conservative majority if the conseratives decide to crack down harder on the liberals and the conervatives to wage a late 19th century style kulturkamp to bring society back to its 50s social conservatisn, and any bloodshed would have been very minimal, and does not have to require machine gunning hippie and gay rights protesters, just widespread indefinite arrests of their leaders, sort of like like the Social Democrats and the Conservatives did in Germany in the 20s to preventing Germany from going fully to the left. I am not really supporting these measures. This is just an interesting alternate history discussion, about whether the 60s sexual revolution by the baby boomers could have been halted if the greatest generation and the depression generation had been willing to take a harder line or more extreme measures to shore up early 50s social and sexual mores. And as for the Supreme Court, the courts to not have any way to enforce their rulings, so the government could just decide to ignore them know the interest of maintaining public morality.
Courage to do what needed to be done, without concern for abstract concepts of democracy and human rights.

Not through speeches and majority decisions will the great questions of the day be decided -- but by iron and blood. Otto von Bismarck

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
I used to think that the liberal wave of the 1960s in the US ended with Richard Nixon's election in 1968. Now I think it ended for good with Jimmy Carter and his "Great Malaise" speech. Add that to the antics of brother Billie and the "killer rabbit" episode and culminating in the 444 days of captivity of US embassy personnel in Tehran. If that's not enough, how about stagflation and 21% mortgage rates (if your credit was good). No wonder old Ronnie looked good!
With once unthinkable concepts such as "transgenderism" and amnesty for illegal aliens now being considered socially "acceptable" and in the "mainstream" of political discourse, it would seem the liberal wave which had begun in the 1960s is stronger than ever.

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
Courage to do what needed to be done, without concern for abstract concepts of democracy and human rights.

Not through speeches and majority decisions will the great questions of the day be decided -- but by iron and blood. Otto von Bismarck
And what do you propose "needed to be done", in exact terms, to the extent that it would cause a government to "courageously" forgo democracy and violate human rights?

Similar History Discussions