What was needed to stop the 60s liberal revolution in its tracks?

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
And what do you propose "needed to be done", in exact terms, to the extent that it would cause a government to "courageously" forgo democracy and violate human rights?
Does that really need to be said? Regardless, in lieu of a time machine the discussion is irrelevant at this point. One might as well be speaking into the wind.

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
Does that really need to be said? Regardless, in lieu of a time machine the discussion is irrelevant at this point. One might as well be speaking into the wind.
Yes, it does. Democracy and human rights are not things one can toss away lightly, and it's bad form, to say the least, to come into this thread advocating for their violation by government force in a circumstance not so different from our own without giving a reason.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Yes, it does. Democracy and human rights are not things one can toss away lightly, and it's bad form, to say the least, to come into this thread advocating for their violation by government force in a circumstance not so different from our own without giving a reason.
Step back one minute. The OP asked what needed to be done (hypothetical question) to put an end to the 1960s liberal revolution.

I gave my reasoned response about what I believe would have been necessary to end the liberal revolution before it got out of control. I never once said I advocated these methods. I merely said that these were the methods which the government would have needed to employ IF they were serious about crushing the liberal revolution.

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
Step back one minute. The OP asked what needed to be done (hypothetical question) to put an end to the 1960s liberal revolution.

I gave my reasoned response about what I believe would have been necessary to end the liberal revolution before it got out of control. I never once said I advocated these methods. I merely said that these were the methods which the government would have needed to employ IF they were serious about crushing the liberal revolution.
Fair enough if you wouldn't support such an action, I suppose, but you hardly make that clear quoting Bismark's authoritarianism with admiration immediately after -- the thread is about what would be needed to stop the liberal revolution, not role-playing as the dictator who gets to crush it. In any case though, at the moment this appears to just be a non-issue, so I guess we should leave it at one.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Fair enough if you wouldn't support such an action, I suppose, but you hardly make that clear quoting Bismark's authoritarianism with admiration immediately after -- the thread is about what would be needed to stop the liberal revolution, not role-playing as the dictator who gets to crush it. In any case though, at the moment this appears to just be a non-issue, so I guess we should leave it at one.
You mean I don't get to role play? Darn. I've always been partial to historical reenactments. 13th Georgia Rifles here. LOL!

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
You mean I don't get to role play? Darn. I've always been partial to historical reenactments. 13th Georgia Rifles here. LOL!
Nothing wrong with role-playing, it's just completely indistinguishable from actual action or opinion without any indication that that's what's happening. If you pretend to be an authoritarian without bring prompted or telling anyone you're doing so you just look like an authoritarian. I think we have everything cleared up here though.

Reactions: Swamp Booger

John B

Ad Honorem
Mar 2016
Canada
Some times a combat boot in the face puts things back to the center. I call it "stupid prevention." Thanks to the left going to far we are all in a mess. It is like we opened the stupid farm. There are human rights but when you threaten those of the majority you are going to get stepped on. There were mechanisms to stop most of this before it got started but the political will was not there.

Last edited:
Nov 2018
Canada
Some times a combat boot in the face puts things back to the center. I call it "stupid prevention." Thanks to the left going to far we are all in a mess. It is like we opened the stupid farm. There are human rights but when you threaten those of the majority you are going to get stepped on. There were mechanisms to stop most of this before it got started but the political will was not there.
Could you elaborate more on what you mean, not picking on you just curious.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Nazis and Fascists win WWII, making the world safe for autocracy.

It sort of worked in Spain. Postponed most things like this to the 1980's. (When things REALLY shifted fast otoh.)
^

This, or, alternatively, have the world be so devastated by nuclear war that it has no time for things such as a hippie movement afterwards.