What was Russia's pre-1917 immigration policy?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What did Russian immigration policy look like in the century or two leading up to 1917? So, basically, Russia's immigration policy before Russia actually went Communist. I know that up to a couple million Germans settled in Russia in the late 18th and 19th centuries and that there were also some Czech, Chinese, and Korean immigrants to Russia. However, what was Russia's immigration policy itself during this time? Was it essentially open borders just like the US's immigration policy before 1882 was? Or was it something else?

Any thoughts on this?

@Slavon @Maki @Kotromanic @Visigoth Panzer @Farquaad @Dir

Jan 2014
Rus
but the most common was the attraction of the people. There were lack of people not of the land often. Althought there werent attraction of any people

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
but the most common was the attraction of the people. There were lack of people not of the land often. Althought there werent attraction of any people
Do you mean that Russia wasn't very attractive to a lot of immigrants?

Jan 2014
Rus
... I understood your. I meant "attraction not of any people". I tnink it would be more correct in English.
("Не было привлечения любых людей" if your understand Russian)

Was it essentially open borders
In Empire different parts had different laws. And there were many limitations for movements between different parts. Aspesially before 1861 and for nonNobles.