What was the attitude towards homosexuality in india and china historically?

Jun 2012
Malaysia
The reason you are unable to see the nature of this contact as attraction between two males is that you are still looking at it in God mode.

What I mean by that is most of us see this story as a mythical story involving two superhumans (Shiva and Vishnu).

Now let me try to create the real scenario that gave rise to this story in the Puranas.

Think of two rival tribes, Devtas based in central India and Asuras based out west (the Iran Gulf corridor).

Also imagine two respected and powerful Chiefs, Vishnu with clear alignment with Devtas and Shiva (Rudra) with a more neutral reputation.

Now let's suppose both these tribes find a common objective, that is they learn from somewhere that there is a treasure buried off the coast near Karachi.

So, these tribes decide to collaborate for the moment after burying the hatchet, most probably due to a mediation by Shiva.

So they go on a drilling expedition together, which is what is alluded to in the Samudra Manthan story.

When this mission was about to be successfully completed, Vishnu, the medicine man (read the American Indian medicine man's duties) of the Devtas decided to use deception.

Now, in this setting try to think of Vishnu as Mohini. Of course, we immediately realize that it is impossible for any magic tricks to turn him into a woman instantly.

So, certainly there was cross dressing involved.

And then when we think of the episode where Shiva approached him later to turn into Mohini again for His pleasure, we can see this in a different light, one which allows us to appreciate the dual nature of humans.
Shiva wanted to sleep with Vishnu, knowing already that Vishnu was really a man? Good Lord! Talk about gay gods. Stone me.

Last edited:
Jul 2017
Sydney
Shiva wanted to sleep with Vishnu, knowing already that Vishnu was really a man? Good Lord! Talk about gay gods. Stone me.
Well, in Indian ideology you can't really put limits on Gods. That's why Rama is specifically called 'Maryada Purushottam' as he followed all the rules of excellent conduct laid out for humans.

The same may neither be true of other Gods or incarnations nor perhaps expected

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
No, DM. Shiva did not know that Mohini was actually Lord Vishnu. Vaishnavas will say that it was Lord Vishnu's 'maya', Shaivas will say that it was Lord Shiva's 'maya'. But that was necessary for the birth of Lord Kartrikeya / Lord Murugan. They say Shiva spilled his semen all over the world where now it is found and gold and silver. A few drops fell into fire. Lord Agni could not bear it, he passed it o to Ganges and thereby Lord Kartikeya was born. That is where the six sisters, Krittikas (Pleiades) found him among the reeds and reared him. Since six sisters raised him, he got six heads to look towards the six mothers, that is why he is known as Shanmukha or Shadanana. He was to lead the army of Gods against those of demons. After victory in the war, he married Lord Indra's daughter, Devasena.

The stories about Kartikeya / Murugan may be different in North and South India, for example, in North he is elder to Lord Ganesha and in South he is younger to him. If anyone wants to add some more mythical story, I would welcome it.

"Kartikeya is known by numerous names in ancient and medieval texts of the Indian culture. Most common among these are Murugan, Kumara, Skanda, and Subrahmanya. Others include Aaiyyan, Cheyyon, Senthil, Vēlan, Swaminathan ("ruler of the gods", from -natha king), śaravanabhava ("born amongst the reeds"), Arumugam or Shanmukha ("six-faced"), Dandapani ("wielder of the mace", from -pani hand), Guha (cave, secret) or Guruguha (cave-teacher), Kadhirvelan, Kandhan (Aup. adds - Kanthan, handsome), Vishakha and Mahasena. In ancient coins where the inscription has survived along with his images, his names appear as Kumara, Brahmanya or Brahmanyadeva. On some ancient Indo-Scythian coins, his names appear in Greek script as Skanda, Kumara and Vishaka. In ancient statues, he appears as Mahasena, Skanda and Vishakha."
Kartikeya - Wikipedia

Similar History Discussions