What was the culture/society like in the 1970's?

Jun 2013
Connecticut
In a word the 1970s were the pits and that's being generous in describing those times.
Everything, from A to Z, was determined by money. We all know we need money to do anything, literally anything.
The 1970s were a decade of economic upheavals. It was the crashing end of the post-WW II boom-boom-BOOM. This changed the way everything was done in the USA - from going to public school to manufacturing a car to shopping for groceries to...
Lots of wars, lots of rotten politics, lots of social changes, etc but everything kow-towed to economic stagnation. It started with a crushing recession in 1973 that produced the worst economic mess since the 1929 crash.
It also produced a new economic misery - STAGFLATION - high unemployment yet high inflation.
Whatever money you had, if you had a job to have money, was evaporating in your hand as you tried to use it.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
In a word the 1970s were the pits and that's being generous in describing those times.
Everything, from A to Z, was determined by money. We all know we need money to do anything, literally anything.
The 1970s were a decade of economic upheavals. It was the crashing end of the post-WW II boom-boom-BOOM. This changed the way everything was done in the USA - from going to public school to manufacturing a car to shopping for groceries to...
Lots of wars, lots of rotten politics, lots of social changes, etc but everything kow-towed to economic stagnation. It started with a crushing recession in 1973 that produced the worst economic mess since the 1929 crash.
It also produced a new economic misery - STAGFLATION - high unemployment yet high inflation.
Whatever money you had, if you had a job to have money, was evaporating in your hand as you tried to use it.
You must have lived through a different decade than me. Firstly, it was not all about money. That is life today. We hung out in the neighborhood and entertained ourselves for an entire summer with literally no money spent, unlike today where youth play sports on organized teams which - of course - cost money, or go to entertainment centers or the movies or social activity sites which - of course - cost money, or shop on their phone for apps and music which - of course - cost money. We had family and community gatherings - face to face no less. I am not sure what wars you are referencing. Vietnam was it and it was winding down as the decade began. My father held jobs in manufacturing. He was constantly in and out of work. My mother would work retail when he was out of work. Nothing substantial, but it paid the bills. We had one car, one television, one phone, one bathroom and two bedrooms for 5 of us. We ate pasta (homemade sauce) and chicken twice a week - each, and hamburger once a week. On Sunday we had a pot roast. People had less but got by with less and didn't seem to mind. It was not a materialistic time. I can understand that some industries, like steel, went by the wayside and gas was high for a time. So, you drove less and stayed at home, which many were content to do. I was child, then teen during the decade. Maybe you were a young man or parent and felt it worse.

Last edited:
Mar 2015
Yorkshire
You had it good in America - should have tried the UK.

Massive inflation, disasterous economic policy from both left and right, strong Unions elbowing out the weaker in society and grabbing the diminishing goodies for them.

Miss out on a wage increase and with inflation of 27% per annum, you went from struggling to destitute.

Never better but when it was over.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
I hv read someone write that that Britain was pretty close to becoming a third world country, that time. Their unions were grinding the economy to a halt. Anyways, it all kind of paved the way for the emergence & rise of Margaret Thatcher.

Last edited:
Feb 2016
ROK
I barely remember the 1970s. I heard that NYC was becoming dangerous, so we moved across the river to a town in New Jersey. Life was much better there. The apartment building that we lived in had a swimming pool. It got closed down during the early 1980s due to the high maintenance cost. Kids used to play in the water fountain pool at a school, but that fountain got shut down, too. Since then, with the exception of us bicycle riders, more of the kids began to stay indoors.

I thought of the 1970s recently and realized that it was only 25 years after WWII. The fall of the Berlin Wall was 29 years ago and it's still fresh in my memory. Time flies.

Last edited:

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Let´s not forget polyester suits, Nehru jackets, bell bottom trousers. For me is was the worse fashion decade to ever exist. Even half naked savages had a better fashion sense than the 70s. I preferred the fashions of the forties. And how about those Andrew Sisters?… now they were hot.