What was the general attitude of the population towards colonialism and decolonisation in the 1940s to 1960s in the former European colonial powers?

Mar 2016
Australia
Naturally I'm excluding the opinions of politicians and philosophers/intellectuals, since they did not necessarily represent the attitudes of the average lower-to-middle class citizen. Was the collapse in overseas power and prestige viewed negatively, or was the new focus on internal issues and the reduction in spending for overseas ventures viewed favourably? Did attitudes differ significantly between countries? Was the issue divided into a 'positive' or 'negative' dichotomy, or was most of the general population indifferent?

Mar 2016
Australia
Here are some polls for you in regards to France:

Ending Empire
Very interesting, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I'm surprised at just how indifferent the French public was regarding Algeria. I was under the impression that anti-independence attitudes were stronger in France than in other colonial powers (e.g. the UK), although I suppose the decision-making of the government isn't necessarily representative of the true attitudes of the people.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Very interesting, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I'm surprised at just how indifferent the French public was regarding Algeria. I was under the impression that anti-independence attitudes were stronger in France than in other colonial powers (e.g. the UK), although I suppose the decision-making of the government isn't necessarily representative of the true attitudes of the people.
I suspect that the pieds-noirs in France might have had a lobby that was more powerful than their mere numbers suggested, though. I think that I also previously read that pied-noir votes were necessary for some French governing coalitions in the 1950s--which would be another reason for the French government not to ignore the pieds-noirs even though they might have been relatively small in number.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If you want, you can do a Google search for opinion polls and various countries. For instance, "opinion poll 1947 Britain India independence" or a Google search along those lines.