What was the most important factor behind Republican domination during the 1920s?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't know that there ever were any major film studios in the east, at least not that early. Electric lighting was still primitive and cameras and film could not yet adapt to low light conditions so movies pretty much had to be made outdoors. California was warm and sunny year round.
Thomas Edison's film/movie studio was in New Jersey in the 1890s, I believe.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I don't know that there ever were any major film studios in the east, at least not that early. Electric lighting was still primitive and cameras and film could not yet adapt to low light conditions so movies pretty much had to be made outdoors. California was warm and sunny year round.
I've always thought of larger pictures being made in LA area. And the climate was attractive for talent as well as the cost control issue with lighting. There were talented carpenters and other work hands already thanks to the oil boom in So. Cali.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I've always thought of larger pictures being made in LA area. And the climate was attractive for talent as well as the cost control issue with lighting. There were talented carpenters and other work hands already thanks to the oil boom in So. Cali.
Is the oil boom the reason that SoCal's population began booming in the early 20th century?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Is the oil boom the reason that SoCal's population began booming in the early 20th century?
As the guy from Greater LA, I'd ask you to get back to me, whether it was the leading factor? San Francisco had the superior harbor and a rail terminus for a longer length of time (1869, right?).

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
What's interesting, though, is that had Hughes won in 1916, the 1920s would have likely been a Democrat-dominated era. In such a scenario, it would be the Dem candidate who'd call for a return to normalcy after WWI.

Also, it's quite interesting that in spite of being beneficiaries of US federal government programs, rural whites in the US have gradually moved to the Republican Party over the last several decades. I get that a lot of rural whites were displeased with the Democrats for civil rights and for seemingly ignoring their concerns, but their shift to the GOP hasn't actually resulted in the GOP becoming a more working class-friendly party.
Nixon's Southern Strategy bore fruit in the long run. The reasons may seem offensive but in 1968 George Wallace carried the Deep South. Since then overt racism was replaced by "God and Guns".

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
As the guy from Greater LA, I'd ask you to get back to me, whether it was the leading factor? San Francisco had the superior harbor and a rail terminus for a longer length of time (1869, right?).
Well, please let me do some research on this. :)

Nixon's Southern Strategy bore fruit in the long run. The reasons may seem offensive but in 1968 George Wallace carried the Deep South. Since then overt racism was replaced by "God and Guns".
And by abortion, homophobia (at least until the 2010s), affirmative action, and opposition to welfare for those people who are deemed "undeserving" of this.

Reactions: stevev