What was the most opulent royal court in history?

What was the most opulent royal court in history?

• Ancient Egypt court under various pharaohs (eg, Amenhotep III)

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Gupta imperial court (especially under Vikramaditya)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Ancient Babylonian imperial court

• Han dynasty imperial court

• Tang dynasty imperial court

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Tokugawa shogunate, especially the Genroku era

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Court of the caliphate at Baghdad, especially Harun al Rashid

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Incan imperial court at Cusco

• Roman imperial court, from Augustus to Constantine

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Byzantine imperial court, from Constantine to the Angelid dynasty

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Persian imperial court, especially Xerxes I and Khusrow the Great

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Turkish sultanate court, especially Suleyman the Magnificent

• Ptolemaic royal court

• Papal court from Alexander VI through Innocent XII

• Habsburg imperial court

• Bourbon royal court

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Tudor/Stuart royal court, Henry VIII through Charles II

• Russian imperial court, especially Peter the Great through Catherine II

• Court of Venetian doge

• Napoleonic imperial court

• Other

• Total voters
Feb 2019
hahaha
Without question it is the Qing court in China during the period of the Empress Dowager (1850-1900), the expenses of this court was so vast that it reflected in double digits with the GDP of imperial china itself (about 12% of GDP).

This court was responsible for serving Cixi herself 100 freshly prepared dishes PER MEAL. Even though she barely touches 3 dishes. They built marble ships, and had every debauchery and expense imaginable. This is possible because, unique in all history, the court was ruled by a concubine, not a monarch or ruler. So they cared none at all for the welfare of the nation, and spent as much tax money as they could on courtly extravagance.

This was also one of the very few examples of an empire brought down by a debauch court. France in the revolution didnt count, as it is the incompetence and indecisiveness of Louis that brought about the revolution and not marie antoinettes expenses.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I would say other: the modern English court. No empire in history ever matched the great wealth of the British Empire, which at its peak was the largest and wealthiest empire the world had yet known. Look up the coronation ceremony of Queen Elizabeth II on youtube and you'll see what I mean.
It might seem that way, but post-war Britain was financially stressed. The monarchy itself had its own wealth thanks largely to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. After the expenses of the Napoleonic Wars and the extravagance of the Regency and later reign of George IV, the monarchy was under a cloud. Victoria, 18 at her accession, had no money and had to barrow just to live until she was given an income from the Civil List. That income had to cover the running of four palaces and was less than her predecessors. With the help of her PM, she paid off her father's debts and began to build a personal estate. Prince Albert brought no money to the marriage but helped manage the estate that eventually reached over 100 million in current dollars at Victoria's death in 1901. It's now several times that; still not outstanding in a world of multi-billionaires, but not bad.

I chose the Papacy which during the specified period accumulated vast wealth from production of priceless artworks and the support of the Medici family which essentially owned the Papacy at this time. I don't know how it compared with the Ottoman Court but the Papacy was the richest court in Europe.

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
If I were to pick a Japanese "court" then it would be Hideyoshi's court
I would say other: the modern English court. No empire in history ever matched the great wealth of the British Empire, which at its peak was the largest and wealthiest empire the world had yet known. Look up the coronation ceremony of Queen Elizabeth II on youtube and you'll see what I mean.
Pfft, the Canadian and Australian courts are much more impressive.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia

I'm thinking of his legendary Lake Nemi pleasure ships:

The Nemi ships were two ships, one larger than the other, built by the Roman emperor Caligula in the 1st century AD at Lake Nemi. Although the purpose of the ships is only speculated upon, the larger ship was essentially an elaborate floating palace, which contained quantities of marble, mosaic floors, heating and plumbing and amenities such as baths. Both ships featured technology thought to have been developed historically much later. It has been stated that the emperor was influenced by the lavish lifestyles of the Hellenistic rulers of Syracuse and Ptolemaic Egypt. Recovered from the lake bed in 1929, the ships were destroyed by fire during World War II in 1944.

Nemi ships - Wikipedia

Aug 2012
Washington State, USA.
Would have to be Louis XIV or XVI, yeah?
I'm with you. The Sun King knew how to party. They made a pretty good Netflix series about it called Versailles. That palace is a monster. It looks more like a mountain than a building. The series has so many good shots of the palace, even if you don't like the drama much.
Ooops, I voted wrong. I voted other because I didn't see any of the any of the Lioux Kings, but it does mention the Bourbon Royal Court. They even won the vote, as they should have.

Last edited: