What was the Pilgrims' relationship with England?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The future Pilgrim Fathers didn't have a great time in England. William Bradford wrote: "they could not long continue in any peaceable condition, but were hunted & persecuted on every side...some were taken & clapt up in prison, others had their houses besett & watcht night and day, & hardly escaped their hands; and ye most were faine to flie & leave their howses & habitations, and the means of their livelehood".

They came into conflict with king James I and were forced to flee to the Netherlands and eventually they decided to depart for the New World. They managed to get a patent and even the king accepted this as long as the Pilgrims remained peaceful:
"Yet thus farr they prevailed, in sounding his majesties mind, that he would connive at them, & not molest them, provided they carried them selves peacably."

However, we know that the Pilgrims distrusted other English settlers, such as those in Virginia, preferring to settle not too close to them:
"On ye other hand, for Virginia it was objected, that if they lived among ye English wch wear ther planted, or so near them as to be under their goverment, they should be in as great danger to be troubled and persecuted for the cause of religion, as if they lived in England, and it might be worse."

My question is: given their bad experiences in England their obvious mistrust of other English settlers, how were the relations between the Pilgrims that settled in Plymouth and their mother country that was ruled by a man that persecuted those same Pilgrims and refused to recognize their faith ("but to allow or tolerate them by his publick authoritie, under his seale, they found it would not be.")? I assume there were some lingering bad feelings, but on the other hand the Pilgrims were still English subjects and they expected support and protection from England and other settlers in America ("And if they lived too farr of, they should neither have succour, nor defence from them (the other English settlers)").

Similar History Discussions