What was the reason for Alexander's army to settle in India for a large part?

Status
Closed
Jul 2014
Yes
They started a whole new Indo-Greek civilisation, converting to Indian religion and introduce their style of art to the existing one.

Why didn't they do the same in Persia? I never heard of Greeks converting to Zoroastrianism. Instead, the opposite happened there: the destruction of Persepolis and Zoroastrian places of worship.

I think the Indus people impressed the Greeks, not just by their fighting skills, when encountering the armies from the Punjab.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Persia was the traditional enemies of the Greeks, the Indians weren't. Also, India was a lot further away, so the Greeks were more forced to compromise with the locals than in Persia.

Aug 2019
North
They started a whole new Indo-Greek civilisation, converting to Indian religion and introduce their style of art to the existing one.

Why didn't they do the same in Persia? I never heard of Greeks converting to Zoroastrianism. Instead, the opposite happened there: the destruction of Persepolis and Zoroastrian places of worship.

I think the Indus people impressed the Greeks, not just by their fighting skills, when encountering the armies from the Punjab.
Macedonian identity aside, macedonians may have felt comfortable with the fact that they had reached "the end of the world". Yes, they met tough, practically undefeatable men, and that may have been the reason for them to stay there and contribute as much as they could.

Last edited:

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Do not resurrect threads that have been dead for more than two years. If you wish to discuss this topic, you may start a new thread.

Status
Closed