What were Bismarck's thoughts on Great Britain and the idea of an alliance with the Brits?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
He held the small British Army in contempt. Once when asked what he would do if the British Army landed on the German coast and marched on Berlin he said he would send a Prussian police officer to arrest it.
So, he never had faith that Britain would ever be capable of raising a large army?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
All of his wars were short. I don't know if he was already anticipating Schliefen and gambling everything on a quick victory, or if he ever gave much thought to a long war.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
What were Otto von Bismarck's thoughts on Great Britain and the idea of an alliance with the Brits?
Bismarck likely saw Great Britain as a nemesis. I would think France was Germany's mortal enemy though. Bismarck's desire was to make Germany their premiere empire in the world.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Bismarck likely saw Great Britain as a nemesis. I would think France was Germany's mortal enemy though. Bismarck's desire was to make Germany their premiere empire in the world.
I thought that Bismarck was largely uninterested in overseas colonies?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
All of his wars were short. I don't know if he was already anticipating Schliefen and gambling everything on a quick victory, or if he ever gave much thought to a long war.
I suspect that he didn't give it much thought; rather, he aimed to maintain good ties with Russia to significantly reduce the risk of a long war. Of course, he also made a huge decision when he decided to support Austria-Hungary over Russia in the 1879 Dual Alliance.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I thought that Bismarck was largely uninterested in overseas colonies?
I think Germany was interested, but there weren't many available, at least worth the taking, so Germany turned east. But Germany was interested in being #1 and one could argue that Great Britain was in 1870. I don't see an alliance between two competing world powers.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think Germany was interested, but there weren't many available, at least worth the taking, so Germany turned east. But Germany was interested in being #1 and one could argue that Great Britain was in 1870. I don't see an alliance between two competing world powers.
Joseph Chamberlain actually did try securing such an alliance at the turn of the century, though.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Bismark one great concern was the unification of Germany under the Prussian crown
it would inevitably get it into conflict with Austria and France
England had interests in Hanover and the low countries
it still thought of France as the greater threat to the continental balance of power
Prussia rise was faster than Britain could readjust its policies
once the first two countries had been defeated the Britain could only grumble

Similar History Discussions